1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another part broke on my Snowbear!

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by PhantomRacer, Dec 29, 2010.

1. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

One of the flexible markers on the end of the plow..

I mean this thing is falling apart..last year had to replace the hitch pins.. now the one of the guides.. what next? Can't they make these parts last more than a decade!

Got about 10 years on the plow..factory chain (when they still had chains), factory motor, mount, switch, everything is still perfect. Plows as good as the day we bought it.. the snow doesn't seem to care if it is a $1000 plow or a $5000 plow.

Just plowed the 18" of heavy blizzard snow we just got.

But I might have to get rid of the plow if these parts keep falling off :) :) So far I have spent tens of dollars in repairs in the last decade on this plow :)

Was thinking of using this as a replacement for the markers. Less expensive than the SB ones and don't have to pay shipping..just pick it up at the local west marine!

2. acornish

acornish Senior Member

dont feel bad mine broke off too -- went to local truck stop bought a cheep pair of 2ft cb wips and used them
  3. ArcticCat1

ArcticCat1 Member

Bought mine at Sams Club, it was there floor model for $600, an awesome buy! payup

I just had to wait a few weeks for the mount kit to arrive, markers were broke off, rubber snow deflector, and winch strap was torn, SB was reluctant to send these parts, since I paid so little for the plow, but they did! Oh, and I had to send in the winch motor for a warranty replacement too... it didn't work either! I think someone swapped a bad winch for the one that was on that floor model at one point before I bought it.

All those hassles were worth it though, for the price I paid for the plow. :D What are they regularly priced? $1,200?
  4. PhantomRacer

from boston

mine was 999 at BJs about 10 years ago. Just amazed how well it has held up all these years.. left outside .. uncovered year round..
  5. acornish

acornish Senior Member

yep tough little bastards, and lets be honest i beat the hell out of mine and im sure others do too-- for the money they cost 10 yrs ill buy another i always had meyers or westerns till 5ys ago and replaced more stuff on truck and plow with them, 3yrs ago i got my gmc w/snowbear and winters are worse up here, and a lot less parts
  6. PhantomRacer

from boston

Have heard since I bought mine ..they went from a chain lift to a belt..apparently they dont last as long as the chain. Also I heard they dont have the same motor..which isn't as durable as the original one.

The only mod I have done is adding real plow lights to the SB light mounts. Wired it to a harness with relays to work off the trucks light switches. rest of it is out of the box.

But im still shocked at how durable it is.. other than some surface rust starting to show, its been great.

Despite the bashing it gets on this forum, it works and works well enough.. still plows snow on lightweight trucks just great, even on my 2wd!
  7. Polar66

Polar66 Junior Member

Not a bad little plow, ligh to medium duty at best. My markers also broke, used some ready rod which was very inexpensive, installed in just a couple of minutes and does the job! Too bad customer service at Snowbear is what it is...BAD!! Their attiotude is that they are doing you a favor and have little knowledge about their product and dealer network.
  8. pushingsnow

pushingsnow Member

any way to modify angle

plow seems good for wat i have in it just waiting on crossmember was hoping to make mounts to hook it up to my 05 f250 any help would be apreciated is there any way to hook up a motor and make it turn cheap my plan right now is to just plow with it straight
  9. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

I've got a snowbear on my 1993 F250 diesel, and I can tell you one thing...they are tough. I just bought a brand new one this year, but I had an older yellow one a couple years back. A 3/4 ton diesel is a LOT of truck for a snowbear, but if you really watch what you are doing, know the property you are plowing and stay away from possible crashes with objects, you will do just fine!

I just bought a set of skid shoes for mine tonight, but not factory ones :mechanic:
  10. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

i,ve had my snowbear plow 5yrs been pretty hard on it at timesi replaced my sidemarkers with ones for a curtis plow changed the strap to a chain still useing the origanal winch but i have a backup winch that i bought from harbor freight its a tough little plow great for what it is intended for