1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another overweight issue thread

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by awhip, Feb 17, 2016.

1. awhip

awhip Member

I finally went over the scales yesterday. In at 9460 out at 14200. Trucks good for 11000. Truck is a 95 f350 diesel dump. 9'fisher and 2 yard stainless sander. Pics make posts better.

So now I'm torn. I knew id be a little overweight but i don't think dot is going to let 3k slide. Plus if God forbid someone gets hurt or killed...
    should i suck it up, don't be a p****, or go sand one driveway at a time? Or get a different setup. If i beef up the suspension it's not going to effect factory weight ratings correct? Plus i believe it already had helper leafs, it handles the weight well. I really like the ol 7.3, i can fix it if it breaks, and i own it. I like it better than my 14 2500 (i know of course i do its a dodge). i can't spend 60k on a new one. What do i do get a 450 or something similar around 25k, that's going to have issues and I'd have a payment? And I'm sure I'll still overload it...

Thought about trading both trucks toward a new one ton, but i need two trucks for the work i have. I know these are my problems just looking for any advice from guys who have already been through this.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You just need to go to the DMV and pay for the plates that will allow you to run that weight,
    and will your tires support that weight.
    or you need to shed some weight.

your door jam sticker is a recommendation made for
    warranty reasons by the MGF. they dont want you to really use your truck until it is out of warranty.

most hot-shots are over weight if you went by the door-jam sticker.

ps air bags so you don't look loaded down...
    weight is still weight.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Sno said what I do.

I have a 3500 Chevy that tares a 9800 and I put F plates (Illinois 16,000lb Plate) Door sticker is 12K, but who reads those.

I have a leaf stack in the rear that is not exactly stock, so the truck takes it and does not look overleaded.

So they let me leave the pits at 15 and change all day every day. Truck loves it. If I ever get road scaled by DOT, and they check door tag, I will deal with the issue then, but till this point, it has not been an issue and truck has been plated that way since 2004. So 12 years stong... I will keep taking my chances.
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I run a 1 yard sander in my srw 2007 Chevy.
    Door stickers are about the same as yours,
    We all know they'll handle more but if something happens you are screwed or worse you hurt somebody.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You know we need here....

It's a sticker that says....
  6. awhip

awhip Member

Ya we can certify trucks over 26000 for overweight idk about less than. And it's only a percentage, like 10% i believe. I'm going to look into it. I'll probably throw on a set of air bags as well. Id love to go down to dmv and pay for 16000 commercial plates, but I'm not sure that's an option in new hampsha.
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

If your not overweight your not hauling enough....Thumbs Up
  8. awhip

awhip Member

Cut the dump body off and put an aluminum flat bed on?
  9. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Every DOT officer here checks the door tag. Its not just a suggestion
  10. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

All states are different, but if yours goes by the federal standard.....
    The sticker in the door has no legal standing.
    Legal weights go by tire rating with a cap of 18k for your rear axle, and 11.5k for your steer axle.
    Look at the numbers on your tires add them up there's your legal loading limit. Load your truck evenly, and make sure your plate rating matches.
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Winner winner chicken dinner,
  12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I would think about a new setup!! And yes we know the truck can do it? But it comes to saftey! I would be more worried about the stopping power of your 350 vs a 550.. we have a 550 plated for 18000kg or 36000lbs, the plate sticker along is $1k. We run a 2.5yrd heaping to 3yrds. And it takes alot of pedal to stop it in a oh chit situation...
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Just think how much longer stoping distances were with 4wheel drum
    Brakes with the same weight.
    Now just for fun let's say there manual brakes, there wet and your on a 6%grade..

Adjust your speed, you don't need to be going the speed limit.
  14. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

I was pulled over by the DOT last summer and they went by my door tag (and GVWR tag on my trailer).
    Also, my truck is always overweight when hauling sand (not empty, just with sand). My thoughts were that I am the only one driving it when loaded AND there is not a snowballs chance in HE!! that the DOT will be out doing roadside checks in snow/ice. Here they are mon-fri fair weather kinda guys.
    I will say that after they were done going through my stuff, I felt like I had gotten a colonoscopy.
    Good Luck!
  15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

What if you get in an accident?
  16. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

We had a MTO (dot) guy running around at night checking guys last yr..
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I too was pulled over by DOT,
    Got a ticket for missing lug nut,
    No turn signals on trailer
    No fenders on trailer

Got out the portable scales.
    Looked at the plates,
    Didn't like the mobilhome axels.....
    Didn't look in the jam,
    Wouldn't matter, as the sticker was gone,
    The truck had been repainted.

The mFG'S sticker in the door jam is not required .
    You can legally remove it.
    Now what is DOT going to do.
    I eperiences is nothing....

What if you had a cab off of a 1/2 on a 1ton?
    Just Say'en

Ps it was my bosses 78 3/4 power wagon
    Home made trailer,
    With a 4 ton roller,
    Empty rollers and water tanks.
  18. awhip

awhip Member

That's what I'm getting at. I'm hoping i can get upgraded tags but if not i think I'm going to be looking at a different truck.

Any favorites for a short dual wheel high capacity truck?
  19. chevyhauler

everything is a risk. getting out of bed...crossing the street.
    now I have built up the truck to "handle" it. Bed goes down just over an inch with 2 yards of sand in it. I sand roughly 12-15 times a year around here (don't need to before/after every storm) so the risk is minimized.
  20. chevyhauler

no idea.
    I know that it took a good 5 minutes for him to read the sun faded sticker on my trailer
    I would LOVE if they only went by tires, that would add another 2780lbs to my truck capacity and would add another 800 or so pounds of capacity to my tool trailer. CT is the land of "screw the businesses". That's why they are all leaving.