1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another one....what would you charge?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by stang2244, Feb 17, 2010.

1. stang2244

stang2244 Senior Member

I have to include a per push price for snow removal as part of a bid I'm going to submit for a total property maintenance package. What would you guys charge per push, assuming a 3" trigger, and the 4 areas boxed out in yellow are the areas to be done(total area to be plowed is ~460,000 sq ft)? Any input is appreciated.

micromotion.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wat ya plown with?

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

unless you can push it all in 1 hour start to finish I would not do a per push price. Because you will end up there all day when its snowing, and only able to charge for 1 push.

Hourly on that account would be the only way to go. Seasonal only if they want to but it would be a huge number. I think your both safter with hourly.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

That is a good size lot. I have to agree with icey, I would either go seasonal or hourly. You would have to have several (6 to 8) pieces of equipment to clear that in any reasonal amount of time. I am guessing it would still take a couple hours with that much equipment on site. Good luck I know I would love to land something that big around here.

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

See, Aj knows whats up.

That is a nice calculator.

6. stang2244

stang2244 Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I'm starting think I might not be able to bid this. I am setup fine for the landscape maintenance, but the plowing would require much more than the resources I have available.

7. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

that's ten acres?

We plow a 5.5 acre high-traffic retail site with one truck in about 4-6 hours, depending on snow depth. Last storm was 6" and we had two trucks there for 5 hours or so, we had to do the whole thing twice. Trucks are a 1500 with a 7'6" blade w/ wings, and a 2500 with a 8'6" blade. No V's or anything.

I dont see why people go and say you need 6-8 pieces of equip. there, that's nuts. Two trucks ought to be able to pound that our in 5 hours, add a third to help out and you'd be set. Dont let it intimidate you. As for pricing, I have 1.5" triggers and live in MI, so I will have no helpful info.

8. lawnprolawns

That would also be an easy site to push, as there's no real large ares, a lot of smaller, rectangular, broken up areas. What equipment do you have available right now?

9. stang2244

stang2244 Senior Member

Right now I just have a 95 1/2 ton chevy with a 7'6" straight blade. If it comes down to it I wouldn't be opposed to subbing it, as I have more interest in the landscaping end of this bid and I am not really set up for larger plowing jobs. LAWNPRO. What would you charge for this if it was a 1.5" trigger?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  10. lawnprolawns

Alright, thanks for the info.

Like I mentioned, we use a 1/2 ton with a 7'6" blade and wings, making it 9'6". Truck is a 2007 so it may be a bit beefier than yours, but that's for you to judge. The wings are most helpful for moving piles of snow, it'll "scoop" and hold more. I use wings on my 8' plow and barely ever take them off, it does speed things along.

Here large sites are bid at about 80-110 bucks/acre. I dont know how pricing is in CO though. You could figure it out and leave room for a sub at $X/hr for additional help. With a 3" storm, we clear about 1 acre/hr with that single truck.

Hope this helps a bit. Dont get overwhelmed, though it looks huge, form your SQFT numbers, 10 acres with that layout wouldn't be too bad.

11. Rc2505

I am not saying it cant be done with only one truck. Help yourself. I was just answering his question about a 3 inch trigger. In a heavy snowfall, which Colorado is prone to get, he is not going to be able to keep up with the trigger. A 12 inch storm in 24 hours, means he never leaves the lot with 2 trucks. A 24 inch storm, and he will be beyond screwed. 10 acres is a lot of area, and if he wants to have other contracts as well, he better be equiped to handle the worst case, not a 3 inch snowfall. I personally would have 2 trucks on-site, with at least 2 more available on call. One of those trucks being either a large dump truck with a 10 or 12 foot blade, or a loader with at least a 12 foot pusher. On call trucks can both be 3/4 ton trucks with at least 8 foot blades on them. If a real big snowfall happens, then he will need provisions for at least a couple loaders with pushers just for the shear amount of snow that will need piled some where.

12. lawnprolawns

My bad, I didn't account for the fact that CO gets much bigger storms than us! Sorry, I wasn't trying to knock ya. I posted my site a while back (the 5 acre one I mentioned) and a few people suggested that i get two pushers, a skid, and a truck.. i guess that's what I was referring to when I was saying "That's nuts"

We rarely get 12" storms :)

13. stang2244

stang2244 Senior Member

Thanks for all the help! Lawn Pro: that will definitely help me when putting a number to this, it was a bit overwhelming at first. I'll let you know if this ends up going through.

14. Rc2505

I understand and didn't take it the wrong way. I just know if I am putting my name on it, I would want to be sure that I am covered 110% with no possibility of anything going wrong. Thats why when I answered the post the first time, I suggested heavy. I know that some companies get carried away with the amount of equipment, but honestly I think I would rather have too much then to get caught with my pants down on something that big.

15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

in any decent snowafalla youll need more than one truck

16. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

depends on what part of CO he is in. I am in Co. Springs and we hardly ever get any snow. In the 3 years that Ive been here I think 6" was the biggest snow Ive seen here. Up north and out west though they get some big snow.