1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its comical any more, this last POS worked for us for a grand total of 12hrs over 2 days. Of course he could do everything, run anything, bla, bla. The only thing he did well is run his mouth! Just an arrogant know it all, which was fine if he actually knew anything. My snow plow dream team is slowly falling apart! One other guy who can run anything and do basically anything is probably moving to 3rd shift so he would basically be out of the game. God I love this!:realmad: :confused::dizzy:Thumbs Up
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Who's doing the hiring there?
  4. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Tick- Tock--- at least we have nice weather for the next few weeks ---- I hope.
  5. neplow

neplow Junior Member

hire an illegal. They will figure everything out but the english language.
  6. Brian Young

I am why? Its bad around here and I'm sure everywhere else. We ran an ad a few weeks ago and got about 15 guys reply, 8 guys show up to fill out an application, 2 guys to show up to an interview and the other guy was worse than this guy. This will be guy #6 so far. All is good, his replacement just became available 3 days ago.
  7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Dream Team! HAHA! I love it! Thumbs Up

Yea, every year my dream team turns out to be a nightmare, but it always works out.

I hired a guy last year same story. He could run anything, caught on fast, bla bla bla. First plowable snow (3") first lot he does takes him 3.5 hrs ( I can do it with my eyes closed it 45 mins) Well..... i got to say he now runs a snow shovel pretty darn good!

Good luck Brian! Keep us posted. BTW, Where are you getting guys from?

8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Nevermind, I just got my answer.

Try craigslist. Before you say noway, I have used it for a few years and find it to be a very helpful resource. LOTS of responses, you have to weed thru them, but alot of them post resumes and that helps alot. Just an idea! I have found several good guys thru CL!

Let us know how things turn out. Andrew
  9. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Bossman has a good point about craigslist, we posted an add 3 years ago for a sub, gots lots of responses and more then a few smart a$$ ones. Met with 3 guys. One we really liked, had his stuff in a pile. This will be his third year working with us. We can count on him and it has been a very profitable relationship for all of us.
  10. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Every one wants money but know one wants to earn it, call your unemployment office I alway thought if they worked long enough to draw the atleast might want to work!
  11. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I ran an ad in the local paper a couple seasons ago for a plow truck driver. Hired a guy in his mid 50's who was retired and said he had plowed commercially for 20+years. He said he could run anything, anytime of the day or night.Seemed like a real nice guy. On our first storm of the season, I watched him go around in circles (slowly) on a 10% piece of the lot, while myself and my daughter plowed the rest of the lot. We were just about done when I couldn't take it anymore. I drove up to him and asked what the problem was. He said he couldn't plow like we were doing. He wasn't used to that type of pace. Had him park the truck right there and the daughter took him home. He was done. What a waste of time. Had another kid bugging me for a drivers job. I told him I would keep him in mind if I needed someone. Saw him a couple days later at a minit mart. He comes up to me and asks if it would be O.K. if his girlfriend rides with him when he plows....What??? Another no hire.:drinkup:
  12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i have sort of figured out that in my ads for employees i ask for them to pass a
    drug test, even if you don't drug test it might help weed out the dopers.
  13. Brian Young

Well, his replacement started today and the route was like night and day! Didn't have to tell him anything except property lines.
  14. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

We also tell ours they will be drug tested. I do actually run background checks and driving records on them. Even tell them upfront and later in the contract that they cant drink 8 hours prior to a forecasted storm. That weeds out 99 percent of them.

Im glad u found your guy though!
  15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I once applied for a job and the interviewer told me I had to pay for my own drug test. He said if I passed, He would pay me back and he did. This might be the way to go with drug tests. I fell your pain in trying to get a good hire.
  16. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I might have to try that ...i also politely mention there is no "it's the cold medicine i'm on" trick..if they fail they're out
  17. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

couple weeks ago i told a guy we drug test He said what do you have to test?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I had one guy that ran all this equipment during the summer rub both both front tires off the bobcat on the first plow... no idea how he did it. driving around plowing riding on the pusher and the back tires... no idea till I pulled him out of the machine and showed him

nasa short a rocket scientist that day... he was working for me.
  19. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Same drama here. Need to find another good plow operator, several sidewalk guys and a sidewalk foreman. I've found some good help off Craigslist, I've also gotten a number of duds. Thing about craigslist though is you have to be ready for the resume bombs form all those comfy on unemployment. I love the emails from the unemployment office asking the status of a given "application", to which I reply, "Oh, you mean the stray resume I got, that doesn't even remotely apply to the position, attached to an email without so much as a subject line? Yeah, that's in the circular file..." :dizzy:

Wifey made contact a couple weeks back with a Marine Corps site commader that said he has lots of good guys looking for work, so I may give that route a shot too. Also going to try networking with everyone I know, in case they know of anyone that knows of anyone that knows of anyone, etc, etc, that's looking for work.
  20. 2brothersyc

2brothersyc Member

if anyone needs guys in ct let me know i got a few guys on staff that need to be put to work this winter