1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another one bites the dust.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ferrandino and Sons just picked up an account I've done for a few years. Not a very big account but a good paying one none the less. They offered me the account again and emailed me the pricing. OUCH! Plowing (with walks!) was 85% LESS then I was getting prior to them and salting was 80% less. After they stated there wasn't anymore room to go up, I declined their offer. Good luck to any of my competitors that are reading this and have signed with these guys (your going to make some serious $....for them)

Good thing I hit the pavement early this year and picked up a few more quality accounts too offset the trend with these nationals.

Have a profitable season guys......I will payup :drinkup:
  2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

that sucks man....good luck this year.. unfortunately it seems to be the trend to work for nothing anymore
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

That does suck, sorry to hear it. All snow removal guys should go on strike this year
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Strike ???? Good luck....Economy SUCKS.....

Some are willing to get some money than no money...

To bad but that is what is happening .....
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

What if all snow contractors went on strike on just one bad snowfall, just on contracts controlled by nationals, its never going to happen, but would be impressive if it did
  6. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

thats sucks maybe they will realize how good they had it and ask for you back again ....
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There'd just be a new bunch see an opportunity and crop up.
  8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

the brown trucks just sent out for a hotel around here, i get more for the dr office across the street with 15 parking spots than they are offering for it.
  9. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

Don't feel bad I just lost a big one to a national company. I call them to ask about the contract and they said they were going with a national company and saving thousands.I loss around $25000 on the low end.
  10. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

i don't cry after customers without loyalty. I price everything fair as per best knowledge, don't claim to be the cheapest or to pricy. There is nothing you can do if they don't want to give the business to you.

I offered a very competitive price to a local establishment, the current contractor that was doing the place for a couple years counter offered and undercut my price. Obviously he was ripping off the client for years.

Not saying that you are ripping off but that is just how it goes. Keep up the good work and find new customers that appreciate your work.
  11. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

same thing happened to me with Brickmen....
  12. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Costs will always be near the top of customers priorty lists. All the reasons listed above are what make this a COMPETITIVE MARKET.
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

It is what it is, theres not much we can do about it
  14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Good thought but with the way all these contracts are written YOU would be the one responsible when someone slips and falls because you didn't plow
  15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I doubt it the nationals took it over and all they look at is the bottom price
  16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I already have. I'll have no problems making my margins this year
  17. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Matt, usually your the pro national and I'm the anti national but I have to agree with your statement. Even non national properties are getting lean but thats the times were in
  18. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Indeed. Its adapt or get run over. Going with a national management company is not for every business, but it works for some, many. These savings theories span the whole economy, not just snow removal. The bitxching and whining on here by those who have only heard, not done, is really old.
  19. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

How do we take a chance when all you hear is negative?? I dont have the cash lying around to pay for salt fuel Help etc. to gamble on getting paid. I have read the threads myself and yes the do get a little old but, I feel that some of the guys with experience with the nationals have some good advise.
  20. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I think you dont hear but a very small fraction of the story.

Of the 100 million that USM did in snow last year, how much do you hear up for debate? Lets call it 100k, though I dont think Ive even heard of that much on here. That is one tenth of one percent. You are going to bank on that .001 percent, rather than using your own head and being a non-sheep?

Ever heard that it takes two to tango? Two sides to a story? You think there might be some reason these guys come on here to bitxch about their "just not getting paid?" Do you really think this is how USM got to 600 million in revenue? Do you think perhaps USM enforces that big bad contract and if you dont check in for your service to prove that you performed it, perhaps they just wont pay you? Dont judge a book by its cover. The cliche's could go on for days.

I ask, from a neutral standpoint, that everyone be their own man (or woman). I give the democrats the benefit of the doubt, why shouldnt you give USM the same, despite what youve read here, on the fairy-tale internet?

For every contractor here on PS with a gripe about not getting paid by USM, there are 1000 others out getting ready to plow snow, with a paycheck on the way. In which group are you?