1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another oil problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by btrussell, Mar 24, 2005.

1. btrussell

btrussell Member

Alright heres the deal. For a while my oil pressure was dropping at idle so my dad and I took my truck to our mechanic and he took off the valve covers and the oil drain ports were really cloged so we cleaned everything up and it was fine for a while. Now, after the engine warms up, when I put my foot on the break the pressure drops and the faster I stop the farther the pressure drops and sometimes the needle disappears and the check gauges light comes on. My dad seems to think that the oil pump might be clogged but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or could infor me of a solution. Also my dad told me AMS oil might help too. Any one ever used it? Is there a major difference between that and regular oil?
    Thanks Brian
  2. CHPL

CHPL Member

Often when the returns are clogged when you clean them out the sludge is in the bottom of the pan and gets picked up by the pump and clogs the screen in the pick up tube
  3. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Might try running some atf fluid in it. Has some detergents that might help clean it up.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I agree it's probably sludged up. Depending on accessibility on your truck, maybe dropping the pan is the ticket. You could clean out the pan and pickup, and even change the pump if you like (they are quite cheap for an older Chevy).

The ATF trick works well for a mild sludge condition... but I wouldn't leave anything in there long-term, just a day or two and drop the oil. Maybe need to do it a few times if it is that grubby inside.

I think Pennzoil makes an engine flush, probably others too. Some lube shops offer flushing, I wonder if it is like a tranny flush or if they just add a bottle of cleaner?

I've heard of people filling the engine with diesel fuel to clean it (instead of oil) and leaving it idle for ten mins or so :eek: but I just cringe at the thought of it.

The moral of the story: Change your oil and filter more often!! :nono:
  5. btrussell

btrussell Member

I've heard of using kerosine to help clean stuff out. I'm gonna try to drop the oil pan tomorrow and take a look. Thanks for all the advise.