1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another of my creations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 1, 2004.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I got bored today lol.
    Ok for snow plowing this year I had 4 residential drives, 3 of them good size (country drives) so I was just gonna use one of my garden tractors. One of the tractors keeps breaking the transmission mounts (yeah that’s right lol and I’m being easy on it) another one doesn’t have an engine in it yet, and so on…. Then a friend is going out of town for 2 weeks and wants me to look after his 11 small residential drives while he’s gone, and I can’t shovel them all myself, so I took the 42” blade off of my John Deere 110 (no engine yet) and took deck off of my eXmark TTHP and made a couple brackets for the blade to bolt onto the eXmark. Had to add about 85# of weight to the blade to keep the front end down (that’s what the battery and barbell weights are for of course) but it works great (pushed some mulch around with it) It was barely wide enough to cover the wheel tracks when angled so I put some steel on the ends for little wings, this makes it 52” wide. It angles left, right and straight. This setup is compact, very maneuverable, very reliable and simple so I shouldn’t have any problems with it like I have the tractors and it will be killer on those small driveways. Now if it would just snow about 3” :)
    Oh, I can hook up a yellow rotating light to the battery if needed :)

exmarkplow2.jpg

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I guessing you might have to add some tire chains for a little extra traction. Looks pretty impressive though. I knew a guy who had something sort of similar. Same concept only a little larger. His was completely homemade. It used a 10hp engine and a small import differential. Man could that thing push some snow.

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Does the blade trip? If not, you might wat to add some springs or else you may end up hitting a crack in the concrete and hit yourself on it. Looks good though I love seeing your creative inventions.
    :drinkup:

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

JMR, I am supposed to be getting some tire chains in a swap with a guy soon. Hopefully I won’t need them but I might. I have asthma and it kicks up in cooler weather when I am doing physical exercise so it’s usually enough for me to pull a rope start machine, shovel the sidewalk and then walk behind the machine to clear the drives. I have usually used a garden tractor before although I had a blade on a Scag w/b last winter (and used sulky part of time). You couldn’t hardly use a sulky with this setup unless you put more weight on front. I use a Proslide sulky for mowing so I just decided it would take too much traction away from the plowing aspect to pull it along too. I would just use one of the tractors and probably still will for larger drives but on the smaller ones you can’t beat the maneuverability of a rig like this. Very short, zero turns, and you can make both drive tires turn the same speed just like a differential lock on a tractor or truck. That makes a huge difference, more than people would guess until they try one.

Chris, no it’s not setup to trip unfortunately, but I’ll probably tackle that soon and make that right. I know what it feels like, once I was mowing and riding on the Proslide and the rear anti scalp roller bracket caught on a tree root and jerked the handlebar right into my gut. I kind of had to take a break……. Not pretty to think of.

Thanks.
    Eric

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Pretty neat but how can you say it is reliable if you haven't used it yet?

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I have been using the mower since July and haven’t had to do a single thing to it yet. I don’t worry about it leaving me stranded. There’s nothing to break on the blade itself, it’s very simple, really nothing to break. If something breaks that ok I’ll fix it and keep going.

7. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

wouldn't your time and money been better spent buying a walk behind blower?
    :gunsfiring:

8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

nice set-up. i thought about doing something like that with my exmark 36inch. i dont really have the time though. btw i like the truck in your avatar:)

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's pretty cool, I have an old 36" Exmark, if I had the time and an old tractor blade, it would be kind of neat to mess with. The only problem is, getting it from one job to another, you would need a trailer, I have a couple of trailers, but don't want to haul them around in a snow event and then have to unhook them to plow. I had a guy that owed me some money and wanted to give me a 8hp snowblower, but I can't throw that in the bed of the pickup like I can the MTD, so I passed on the deal. With a fertilizer spreader, spray tank for liquid De-Icer and shovels, even with an 8' bed, I'm almost out of room in the bed.

10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Dayexco- not really. I have $30 invested in it and about an hour and a half of time at most. Show me a snowblower that I can buy for $60 and I’d jump on it (figure my time in the garage is worth $20/hr)

Meyer, thanks. If you want a large pic of it email me- eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz I won’t clutter the site this way (it’s not a 4x4 or plowtruck)

Dan, my truck isn’t 4x4 so I don’t plow with it, therefore I must either put something in the bed or pull a trailer. This would easily fit into my truck bed but I don’t have any ramps for it (thus the trailer must come). Does your customer still have the 8hp blower and if so how much cash would he want for it? You don’t happen to want to get rid of that 36” eXmark do you? I’m sort of kinda wanting one for a few gated areas, I don’t have enough to pay for a new one but enough that it eats up a lot of time doing it with a 21”. Thanks.

I painted the plow today and will put on the last coat (black) tomorrow and can post a pic after that if anyone is interested, if not then I won’t bother.

11. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

post the pic , dont worry about those that think you wasted your time..

i think it's cool...
    sure, you could have spent 50 or 60 thousand bucks on a nice rig and a blizzard or boss plow..or a snow thrower.. but that thing you built will work fine.

some of these people on here are just azzes... not all of us are able to afford or WANT to have a new truck/plow/ payment.

id like to see more pics, and some of it plowing... if it ever freakin snows !

12. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Regardless of what some may say BHB, You can plow with that truck. I plow in 2wd 98% of the time with my F250 that is the same as yours only 2wd. And the frames are the same. I would load up some big weight for ballast and throw a set of mean snow tires on and you could do everything but big hills. Worse case, you decide you need a 4wd truck, then transfer the plow to it.

13. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Another thing...crawl under your truck and look at the tag on the rear axle. There will be a bunch of numbers and a set like 4 1 0 or 3 5 5 or 3 2 3 or 4 L 1 0 or 3 L 5 5 ......if there is that "L" in the code you have a limited slip differential which will help you even more. Mine is limited slip. The other numbers 4 1 0 or 3 5 5 would be the gear ratio.

14. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Vector, thanks. I’ll get you a picture tomorrow. I don’t even have the work to justify a truck plow honestly…. I have 4 driveways of my own. One $25 small one in town, one longer one I do for elderly neighbors more to be nice than anything but usually she gives me $10, another elderly neighbor longer drive I do free if I feel like it- he helps me with any woodworking projects and will loan me any tools or his JD 317 GT with blade if I need it in a pinch, and then my driveway. I just happened to have 11 extra drives for the next week and a half that’s all ;) I doubt it would even snow in that time, this winter has been weird that’s for sure. Mid and upper 40’s most of the time, supposedly in the lower 50’s tomorrow I think, then getting colder later in the week. The long range forecast thinks it will snow next weekend (with temps in upper 20’s) I’m not holding my breath.

KS, yeah I think it would work for driveways and small parking lots (may not have enough traction for large parking lots pushing a lot of snow?) but I just didn’t have the money or need for a plow this year. That and I’d hate to tear it up plowing, it’s 98% rust free and I’d like to keep it that way as much as possible :)
    Here’s a pic of the mud and snow tires I have on it. How aggressive is that, would they work?
    It’s a 5 speed manual with 4.10 gears. I am pretty sure it’s not got limited slip, when I loose traction (like driving through field or my yard to dump leaves in the garden) and start to get stuck, you can only see ruts from one wheel. I don’t know what limited slip does mechanically but I would guess it’s like a differential lock of sorts?
    A guy about 2 hours from me wants to sell me a used Snow Bear. He says he has one brand new in box he’ll sell for $750 but I don’t have that much and wouldn’t spend it on that if I did. What would a used one in ok shape be worth? That would get me by if I got it right? I most likely won’t but if the price is right I might be convinced. I would be interested to see how it would do on a 2wd so I know what i will need as far as truck and plow next year when I might have lots of snow removal work (drives and small to medium commercials) basically I think it would be good to experiment with to see what truck and plow is capable of. I could always beef it up in the problem spots. I know it’s not a good long term usage item, but like I said for experimenting?

Thanks guys.

trucktire.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Can anyone help? Also I have a way to put power angle on the Snow Bear so the manual angle isn't an issue.
    Thanks.

16. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

you must not have anything better to do:drinkup:

17. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

not really lol :drinkup: :redbounce :cool:

18. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

I like the snow-deflector on the top of the plow:nod:

19. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

how much time in that

20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Theres no deflector on it.

Took maybe hour, hour and a half. Pretty simple just took a piece of plate steel about 7” wide by a foot long and bolted (could weld) to blade frame and then bolt the other end of the plate steel to the angle iron that goes between the drive tires on the mower (already had two holes in it for attachments I assume) then took piece of steel (angle iron or square tube works) and welded it to the lift arm on the plow and bolted other end of it to the mower drive unit where the deck carrier bolts on. Three bolts to mount/unmount and would take about 15 to 20 minutes maybe to switch from mower to plow and vice verse.