1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another "Now I've heard it all"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is a variation on the "wanting to pay for plowing they had been getting free" - with a twist. I’ve had people want to hire snowplowing even though they had been getting it done for free by a relative, neighbor etc, so they have some say over when and how it was done. But…

I got a call last night from a neighbor who is the pastor of the Christian Church wanting me to plow his home driveway. I’m familiar with it, so give him a quote over the phone. He accepts. We talk awhile about what he wants and I tell him I’ll get a Proposal written up. Usually we don’t have contracts around here, so I just tell them it’s for their benefit; that I’ll send it out and they don’t need to sign it. Just call me if they want to change anything about it. Anyway, he says a contract would be a good idea, as “good contracts make good neighbors”. Fine with me. It’s snowing while we were talking, so he said if we get enough to plow, go ahead and plow it in the morning. “Ok”. I take the car and go up there this morning to check it out. What the heck? Some guy pulled up and started plowing his driveway! So I go back home, wondering what’s going on, get the Proposal/Contract and go back up there. He tells me it was the guy who had been doing it for free for a couple of years. The pastor had told this guy the day before that he wanted to hire it done this year. The “stickler” is this Good Guy’s WIFE. The pastor had talked to Good Guy, but not Wife. Seems Wife wants Good Guy to keep plowing for free and, according to the pastor, Wife is hard to dissuade. Pastor still wants to hire snowplowing but will need to talk to Wife (Good Guy‘s, not Pastor‘s). I left the Proposal and told him to let me know however it turns out.
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Have the Pastor sign a contract and bill him for the plowing.

So your 'subcontractor' is doing it for free. Good for you. It will still be your account.

Seriously, though, beat him to it a coupla times and you will never hear from Good Guy and Wifey again.
  3. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

Sounds like the pastor would rather pay for the service than to have someone doing it for free. Being in a position of leadership it's probably not wise to take to much for free, people may in turn expect a favor from you that you cant' grant.
  4. Mick

from Maine

Or maybe someone's expecting that free plowing will get them a free pass? I think part of it is that the pastor wants better service. One thing he make an issue of last night was clearing in front of the garage. I didn't think much about it till I was talking to him today. The other guy had already been there. Instead of backdragging from the garage, he'd come straight in and curved to the right and pushed to the parking area. Left about 10 feet of snow unplowed in front of the garage doors. I did a quick backdrag and pushoff when I left to show him how it should/would be.
  5. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Hey Mick ,
    People are strange take foe example this guy tries to flag me down the other morning (I did not see him, my shovelman did) . Since I did not see him I kept on going to the gas station , where this guy approaches me and asks if I would be interested in plowing his drive just down the road, which is also very near my house so I said sure and followed him to his house bid $20 as it was a short easy driveway he says fair enough and whips out a 20 then goes inside his house . When I was done plowing I thougt that I should offer to put him on my list. I go to the door and this guys wife answers, so I run it by her and explain my service ie. 3' trigger....... she tells me that they dont want to make that kind of commitment because her husband leaves for work at all diferent times sometimes @4 am ,@6 am....... so just before he has to go he goes to the end of the street to flag down a plow driving by.I was thinking ok this guy is down the end of his road at 330 am trying to flag someone down. I then realized I was talking to crazy people and I dont like that kind of customer so I just politley ended our conversation and left with $20 in my pocket. I would have liked the job as it is close but people like that usually turn out to be pains . oh well maybe next time.
  6. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I had too LAUGH reading the Article & Answers--PEOPLE-- thers Some Real Characters Out there & a Few CRAZIES! I DONO?--3 AM? 6 AM?-flag a Plow Down?--Heret at 3 AM they better Dress Warm!--waiting for Who ever to drive By?--& I*LL Bet their Both Colledge Grads?--just Kidding? NOPE! Serious! as a Fatal Heart Attack!--& will End by Adding --MOST PEOPLE?--Ole JIM--
  7. Mick

from Maine

Well, I got the first good plowing of the season this morning. It was Sunday, so he needed to be cleared earlier than other days. I went and plowed his drive first - 5:00AM. Let's see Mr Good Guy beat that.

The pastor will know it was me from the way it was plowed.

xlr8, that was pretty funny. I've had some similar. Got a call today from a woman in Massechusetts who wants me to plow for her sister up here and send her the bill. Told her it would be at least $25. She said that was ok. Got there and there's really not much to it plus it's close to my home so I said told the sister I do it for $20. She told me, "Well, I thought maybe $5". Told you I wouldn't even start the truck for $5. Fortunately, I dealing with the lady in MA.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005