1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Noob Saying Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jrr02005, Nov 6, 2009.

1. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

Hi all,

As you can see I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to being a contributing member of this site. I've spent the last few days reading tons of threads which will be very helpful in getting my plowing business off the ground.

My truck and plow came to fruition this summer when I took on residential remodeling jobs on the side, (I still work for the man) and with the money that I earned form them I was able to buy an 02 2500HD 6.0 and a Fisher EZ-V 8.5'. I'm really itching to give up my career and start my own remodeling/building business where I could also do snow removal. I'm hoping to take the plunge this winter with the snow removal branch of my llc.

My question to all that have used it is, is buying the "Snow Plow Business Guide" worth it? I know it's only $30, but I'm cheap, and am wondering if I can find samples of those forms just by google-ing them.

Thanks for reading,
    Joe ussmileyflag
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Welcome to PS:waving:

The way to look at investing in the guide is if you don't already have contracts, form letters, etc... Then how much is your time worth getting all these things together. If you value your time at $$.$$/ hour, how many hours can you afford to google or research for all these things. There are other ways to acquire the materials of course and they all will cost some money and all of them will require tweaking to suit your business.

I hired a small business consulting company for a lot more than $30.00 when I started so I could focus on getting my name out to the potential customers.

Again, welcome to Plow Site and happy reading.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome Joe and pass on the book
  4. jrr02005

jrr02005 Junior Member

What makes you say that hydro?
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Welcome to Plowsite.:waving:
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Hey Joe welcome to PS. Lots of great resources here and some pretty good people as well.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We like you already....The New Posts button is your friend. The site is very active, so there is plenty of fresh reading. You can subscribe to posts you want to follow closely.

I can't comment on the book. My area/customer base does not require written contracts, so I am lucky. There are a few sample contracts posted here. If you have a good business sense, that might be all you need.

Best of luck, and welcome aboard.
  8. APLC

APLC Senior Member

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You can learn just as much reading the forums and posts here as you can in the book.
    Best part is this site is FREE. payup
  10. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Welcome Joe..just keep reading. You will find a wealth of information from the majority of everyone on this site. The experience level of eveyone is quite high. You'll also get some good laffs!!
  11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Welcome Joe

There is a lot of good information passed along on this site. However, if you want a lot of things quickly, maybe the best way to get it is to purchase it. It goes back to the earlier post asking how much your time is worth.

As contractors we spend thousands of dollars of equipment and the school of hard knocks. Consider spending a few dollars on educational and training tools that will never ware out or need to be replaced. Our snow & ice management information is being utilized by several plowsite members as well as hundreds of your peers throughout the United States and Canada. Don't spend countless hours designing your own forms, thinking of what you want to say or how you want to say it. Our Snow CD templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable by you for your business.

If you decide you want to purchase some snow & ice management information you can visit our website at www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499. Being a full service contractor since 1979, we know what a contractor is looking for in material. Simply put, we all want something simple, accurate, professional and time tested. All of our information meets that criteria.

If you are looking for something like that, let me know.
  12. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

use the hell out of the internet everything is on here