1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another newbie with questions

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Wyomedic, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Wyomedic

Wyomedic Junior Member

Yes, another newbie. I see that most of you are from the east, and I wish we could get the plow rates you guys do. I live in eastern Idaho. Most of the bigger company's charge 10-20 each time they plow your driveway. They don't do sideways and don't salt/sand anything. When the snow gets piled up at the end of the driveway, they come with a backhoe and push it back. We get about 64" of snow a year. I am just west of the Grand Tetons. I have a chance to bid on a sub-division that has a main road .4 mile long and 20 or so two car driveways that are around 30-40 feet long, some smaller, some bigger What I was looking for is some advice on what to charge. The guy told me that he had another "Bigger" company do it last year and they used a grader and two front end loaders. I drove by it today and it does not look like it would be that bad. Any advice? I hope some of the guys from the west answer, but any advice would be helpful. Thank you

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

First thing I'd do is figure how long those driveways will take. My guess would be around ten minutes each - so you're looking at about three hours for twenty driveways. Then figure the main road - maybe 15 minutes for about half a mile. So you're looking at around three and a half hours total. Now - how much do you want to make per hour? Take 1/4 of an hour for the road and divide the rest by the number of drives.

As far as an hourly rate, you need to determine that based on your costs and profit margins.

I figure mine at $200/hr. (Now that doesn't do you much good, does it?)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Wyomedic

Wyomedic Junior Member

It does help me. Thank you. I was looking at 100 per hour. Better half told me around 400 for the road and all the driveways. Seems high cause I figure at least two pushs per storm, maybe three, depending on the storm.

4. flyguy65

flyguy65 Junior Member

Wyomedic,
    Would like to compare notes. I live in Victor. Let me know.

5. Wyomedic

Wyomedic Junior Member

Surething, Do you work for any of the guys around here? Matkin? Tonks? Independant?

6. flyguy65

flyguy65 Junior Member

Teton Valley Plowing

I'm independant, mostly doing driveways, a couple of lots, and a couple of small subdivisions. Started last year. E-mail me at currentdestinations@hotmail.com and I'll foward my number.

7. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

unrelated but you're just west of the tetons and you only get 64"....dont they get 400"+ up at jackson and taghee??

8. flyguy65

flyguy65 Junior Member

Yes,
    We do get more than 60 some inches especially last year. However the numbers are deceiving, Jackson Hole Ski Area reported 605 last year and Grand Targhee wasn't far behind, but these measurements are up at higher altitudes, usually between 8000 to 10,000 feet. I will add though that all plowing isnt necessarily due to a snowfall per se. Many times last year I plowed solely due to the wind. Then spring lends itself to the "melt and Freeze" cycles that can make for huge ruts and potholes.