1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another newbie question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowinjoe, Nov 29, 2004.

1. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Great site. This is my second year plowing. I work for a landscaper, after I'm done doing his work I can do as many driveways as I can get. With no overhead other then fuel should my price reflect cost or average price in my area. Also should I be giving the boss a few $ or take his offer as my winter bonus? Thanks everyone for hours of informative and enjoyable reading.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Great setup if you're using your boss's truck/plow and getting your own work. I'd say charge the standard for the area and thank the boss for the use of his equipment. I wouldn't worry about giving him a percentage - he's decided he wants to let you use the stuff. You're probably getting work that wouldn't be on a route, anyway.
  3. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Mick thanks for your input. I wont be able to start my driveways till after 9am on a average storm but Ill let the customers know that. Now all I have to do is find some.
  4. new2it

new2it Member

The only thing I would say is make SURE you do not take ANY customers from your boss. I have seen it happen where my boss lent another employee equip as a bonus, and after a short while of building up clients the employee took off. So now the employer is short a valuable employee, lost some customers, had his equip worked harder than it should have been, and has nothing to show but a slap in the face. I used to be friends with both, but now can't even talk with the jerk who took off.
    Just make sure that you take care of those who take care of you.