1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Newb

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WilBuckeye21, Jan 13, 2010.

1. WilBuckeye21

WilBuckeye21 Junior Member

Hello Guys, i'm new to the site today and want to learn as much as I can. I read a post saying if you've never done this before to get a job doing it or sub. I have a job already and want to plow for extra cash. taking care of customers with my job is no problem because I have a backup driver and I work 3 days for 36 hours. I want to start slow and have the capital to buy used truck and plow just need to be pointed in right direction I will listen to all advise and will not jump out the tree and try to be one of the big boys please help young 30yr old with 3yr old son and little girl on the way secure family future.

Thanks Wilbuckeye21
    Go Bucks!
  2. Turnerlandscape

Turnerlandscape Junior Member

Hey dont listen to those people. If you can afford it... and its not easy... please do it right. Go ahead and find a cheap plow truck in working order. go register a business with your state, get liability and car insurance. ( If you are working by yourself these costs should not be to high and you dont need workers comp on yourself... at least in my state you dont.) Then go ahead and get some driveways to start, not commercial. Then you just have to teach yourself how to plow, thats what I did. Just be careful and dont hit anything. you would have no problem picking up 10 or 15 driveways and making. good money per storm. But please dont be a low baller, charge normal rates for your area. when you start to get work, think quality, dont rush and do a half ass job. Do a great job for people. this will get you more work by word of mouth. Then in a year or to you might find yourself quitting your job and working for yourself full time
  3. WilBuckeye21

Thanks Turnerlandscape, what is a good plow to start out doing driveways with for a chevy or ford 1500 series truck

Thanks again!
  4. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Don't get started take your capital and run!!! All it does is cause a headache and keep you away from a warm bed at night!! Take the money and go find a nice 25 year old at least when your out of your warm bed hopefully you can be in hers!!!
  5. WilBuckeye21

Thanks but I seen Tiger, My capital will be gone when I get a divorce
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Better check on insurance first....then read the different plow brand forums and truck brand forums.
    Hiring a good driver you trust isn't easy and if you hire a friend, the friendship will be over before plow season is....JMO
  7. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

lol.... sad but true, women are alot like hurricanes, come in all hot and wet and leave with your house and car......

All joking aside, the plow all depends on your budget and you have to keep in mind the limitations on your truck as well. 1/2 tons aren't really designed to plow commercially, with that being said there are a whole lot of people who do it and it works out just fine. What you've got to be careful of is weight, find something light weight, a snowgay, a western hts, fisher homesteader, boss makes a sport model or the md snowdogg. In this case used probably is a good idea because you'll be able to tell right away if the guy selling it used it commercially or to plow his and the elderly couple next door's driveways. Also with the size limitation on the plow you'll probably want to start with driveways or really small commercial, driveways aren't a bad gig because you'll find them a lot more foregiving than commercial property managers as you get your feet wet.
  8. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Yes but it sure is fun while it lasts!!! Just kidding Good luck with plowing
  9. WilBuckeye21

Thanks Guys!
  10. WilBuckeye21

I'll still take any info anybody has to offer 148 people have viewed this thread don't be afraid to give your two cents I need as much info as possible

Thanks Go Bucks!:help:
  11. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Like said before check into what insurance is going to run you. Also rememberthat you are going to have to replace all the front end components probably every year. My brother in law was going to start plowing till he checked up on all that stuff and relized that it just wasnt really worth it after all.