1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another NewB ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bighammer, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I'm mounting a Western 8' Pro Plow on my Cummins Ram and the instructions say to instal the mount with the plow mount lugs at 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 inches above the ground. Anybody gone higher or experimented with the hights? That low of a height will KILL my off road ability, ground clearance, and approach angle. I'm thinking more like 13" to 14" but does that make the plow grab or do something I won't like?

Thanks again.

2. EIB

EIB Senior Member

The reason for the 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 is to keep the plow A frame level and mold board at 90 degrees to the pavement.

I had a 91 F350 the the frame was mounted higher, like what you want. It had three adjustment holes on the plow A frame. I used the highest hole in order to keep the A frame level. The plow was an old Fisher plow and was set up that way when I bought it.

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If it's an ultra mount the large brackets come off after you take the plow off and your only left with a small bracket on the bottom. Is the truck lifted or riding stock height?
    Eric

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

If the a-frame is not level, the plow will not be flush to the pavement when angled. Overtime, this will wear the cutting edge into a smile, which deems it pretty much useless.

I agree that the ground clearence sucks with the Uni-mount undercarriage, but I would recommend removing it in the summer months if it effects the trucks performance. That's the best solution, other than going to an Ultra-mount system.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can go up to 11 1/2 or 12 inches and it will still plow OK.It will scrape better,but you will have to crank up the trip springs a bit or it will trip to easy.I moved my mount up for more clearance.You may have to add a shim between the the thrust arms and the frame plates to make them line up.If they don't meet flush,it will shear the bolts off all the time.Trust me,been there done that. :realmad:

Don't worry about cutting edge wear,as it has been a none factor on our trucks with slightly higher mounts.

You can run smaller tires in the winter to help bring the truck back down to a plowable level,and still keep the suspension height you want.I run 265/75R16 Cooper M&S snows in the winter,and put the bigger mudders back on in the spring,summer and fall.

6. jpboost

jpboost Junior Member

newb hr...

hello guuys,am a newb hr...nice meeting you all..looking forward to have discussions with u soon...tnx...:)

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:waving: welcome again.

this time in a 4yr old post?

Must be a blast from the past?