1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

''Another new master cylinder leaking again...darn junk

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by welded wrenches, Feb 3, 2011.

1. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Several new mastercylinders on 78 chevy k10 and they ALL LEAK fluid from the cover.these are metal type master cylinders.after buying from 3 differnt places,a fews later they all leak.Im sure you be so happy also.NOT !! Who make a good one..thats the question.I suppose the next i ask for..Im going to say ...how much to RENT a master cylinder..because you will be getting it returned in a few weeks!
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

metal masters weap fluid from the cap area a lot if you ask me.

if you wana try somthin diffrent might have to change the nuts on the lines but order a mid 80's master. thay went to aluminum/plastic by then.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Are you sure its coming from the cover? I have several older chev and havent had a problem with covers leaking.
  4. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

all 3 chevys have new masters and..

and all 3 chevys have them metal type master cylinders and they ALL LEAK..it dont matter where they are purchase from..the end story is i guess is INFERIOR RUBBER,low grade,piss poor quality ..just look around a bit...junky rubber wiper blades,junky wheel cylinders ,junky rubber tires. all inferior junk rubber..im just so happy...NOT !!:realmad:
  5. sweetk30

the new master i put on my 79k30 thats metal few years ago i brake cleaned off everything and watched it get all damp in less than 10 min from the top/under cap all the way down the sides.

i said screw it. top it off every few months. as i hardly drive it these days any way.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try making a thicker gasket? Like out of inter-tube rubber? Clean the cap real well and use the blue gasket goop to make a gasket? Let it dry for 24 hours before installing.
  7. sweetk30

most gasket maker stuff for engines will swell up and peal right off with brake fluid.