1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another new guy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mainiac, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

Hey folks, just found this site a few weeks back and thought it would be beneficial to join and through some questions out there.
    Been plowing for a property management company and decided last MAy to branch out on my own, the Sebago Lakes Region here in Maine is a very fast growing community. Were I started so late in the year, I haven't had much advertisment, the established companies have a lot of the accounts already.
    I've just received a couple calls about plowing this Winter. I scored 4 apartment complexes and have to go visit another guy that is in charge of an association. I'm just concerned about lowballing or bidding to high. Anyone have any advise on rates and what works best for them?

Thanks for reading, Mike

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, Mike. How are you at estimating time and equipment it will take to do a job?

3. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

Hi yourself Mick, not real up to par on pricing for equip and time. I have a rough idea. Former employer isn't any help, buttoned right up when I told him I was going out on my own.
    Oh well. I just had a call for a dirt driveway about 1500' long and about 1.5 cars wide, pretty much straight with plenty of room for putting snow. I haven't seen it yet, going down tomorrow, but I'm figuring on $30, 45 if I have to come twice in the same storm, or more than 15 inches. Am I being realistic here or "lowballing". This only includes snow, no word about sand and salt.
    Am I long winded or what?

4. Mick

from Maine

Yeah, that's kind of low. Especially if your giving one price for any depth. That's about 1/4 mile. Under what you're saying, I'd quote him about $50-$60. If you're looking at pricing incrementally (3"-6", 6-9 etc), I'd set the 3-6 at around $40. See how he reacts and you'll get an idea if you're real low. Prices might be a little higher in your area, but that should be in the ball park.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

That seems real low to me. I would probably charge them $75 every time i went to plow them. roughly every 4-6 inches and i would plow for roughly 2-3 inches minimum..depending on the customer. So if we got a foot it would cost them $150.

6. Mick

from Maine

I don't think he'd get away with $75 for that in his area.

Anyway, welcome to Plow Site, nepatsfan.

7. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

Yup, your right. I went down and looked at it, definitely 50 bucks per push.
    He thinks there are 3 other driveways there that branch off of it I can probably get.

Mick, whereabouts in Maine are you?

8. Mick

from Maine

Palermo. Half way between Augusta and Belfast on Rte 3.