1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another new guy question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by michigan Joe, Sep 19, 2004.

1. michigan Joe

michigan Joe Junior Member

I'm starting up my buisness this year and I am only taking a few jobs so I can learn my technique and get familiar with the buisness. It is also important to me to do a good job for every one of my customers so I don't want to overload my self. My question is a few of my accounts require me to have insurance on my buisness to protect them from damaged property. The thing is I am not taking a whole lot of jobs so I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to even get it if I wasn't planning on making a bunch of money this year to cover it. What I need to know is how much, roughly, does insurance cost and where is a good place to check out to get it. Also how many residental jobs and how many commercial jobs would you guys recomend to a first year driver. We get an average of 160" of snow per year where I'm at and I drive a '04 f-250 5.4 v8

2. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

You sound like your on the right track. I like to hear people say they want to do a good job. As far a ins. goes. I got a landscaping policy that covers plowing. Now I find if you go out and look just for plowing ins. It cost more. Good luck and check out all the possibility's that are out there.

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

that sounds about the ins. I got landscape insurance with 2 mill. that covers plowing for $554.00/year from national grange. just plowing alone would have been three times that.it only doesnt cover if i plow on a city street, which i dont plan on doing. Add it up though. 20 driveways @$25.00 each =$500.0 that is only if they are plowed once in a storm.good luck

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No matter how many or what types of plowing jobs you have, the question for you to ask is really this:

"Can I afford to lose everything I own (with the exception of what is exempt by law) in the case someone sues me for damages they claim to have suffered as a result of what I did or failed to do?"

If you can answer "Yes", then you have no need for General Liability insurance.

As for cost, if will vary greatly by region, your circumstances and even the company you're talking to. Figure around $800 - $1500.

5. michigan Joe

michigan Joe Junior Member

Thanks alot for the input guys. It's getting closer and closer to that time and I'm just not quite ready yet. Keep the replies comming. If there's anything you can say to help prepare me in any way, something I might not even know to ask, please throw it out there. I have alot of questions on billing, per push?, per hour?, how much? how close do I want to keep my accounts together? ect. Also I had my lawyer, a family friend, file my articles of organization for my LLC and the day he did it he couldn't get ahold of me so he named my company my full name. I was wondering, for legal purpses, if when I wrote the name out for any reason if I could abbreviate the it: J.M.J.C. LLC. I'm just trying to cover all my bases. Thanks again.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Insurance - absolutly! I have a 2mil general contractors policy with state farm for plowing and plowing related. My driving record is perfect - So the policy is around $400 - no employees. With employees it goes up.

I actually do not have any accounts of my own and only sub-contract for the last 7 seasons. I carry the insurance just-in-case. For instance if the guy I plow for fails to pay his policy or cover me on purpose or by mistake then I'm still covered. On the flip if I drop the plow for a neighboor - I'm still covered.

People will sue for anything. Get Insurance!

7. CHEVYPLOWDUDE

CHEVYPLOWDUDE Junior Member

my inshurnce covers me for plowing just check around :jester: 2 me :waving: im purplebou for SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

8. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Hey Joe!

My full conpany's name is Breyr Construction & Landscape, LLC.
    That dosn't fit on much! So, we've moved to using "BC&L" on some printed materials, and allow our customers to make their checks payable to BC&L. All we did was tell teh bank that we wanted to accept checks BC&L, along with checks in our personal names & the company name. This way we can cash it & not have to bother customers to resend checks.

On the legal side (att. NOT AN ATTORNEY SPEAKING!!!) you should be able to file a DBA, or, doing business as "ficticious name." So you could be "Your Full Name, Inc." doing business as "Psyco Plowers" (the redgistered fict. name).
    Help out?

~Matt