1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another mystery noise question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoStockBikes!!, Jan 28, 2003.

1. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I haven't heard this noise so far this winter (until today) and just wanted to make sure it's normal, becuase it JUST started today. At very low speeds, I hear a sort of scrunching sound coming from the tires of my truck. It goes away after I plow the area. Other winters, the tire noise has appeared MUCH earlier, as early as halloween. If anyone else in MN happy to finally hear this noise? :D :drinkup: I'm diggin' it. Finally gonna get a chance to earn some ching. :D
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Could be snow under your tires. The solution is to run around with your plow in the float position. The sound should go away for a few days. In case you hear it again, repeat solution.
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I bet there are a lot of people willing to diagnose & fix the problem.
  4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I know the sound you are talking about. I heard it lots last year, I just turned the stereo up louder to drown it out. . Haven't heard it much this year yet..:realmad:
  5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I seriously am hoping this dreaded sound goes away real soon.
    I'm getting really sick of it... Last yr, it all came down at once 7ft of it in 5 days... this year it's 3" what seems like every other day...
    Major heat wave this week, gunna be in the 20's & this weekend up in the 30's...

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

7. NoStockBikes!!

False alarm... Turns out it only snowed in the south metro, so the guy I'm subbing for had it covered with his own equip and salaried guys. I totally understand, but what a case of blue-balls, ya know? Hell, I did my driveway and my son's friend's driveway just to get warmed up. But no go. Waiting for the next one... Will officially be Feb before anything happens, it looks like.

PS: I lowered my chains a couple links, and backdragged my driveway fine. Thanks again for the advice. I prolly would have taken the a-frame apart and overlooked the simple explanation :eek:
  8. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

check tire pressure.also when runing a plow you should rotate your tires more.they say every 6000 i do mine every 3000 or until i start hearing the noise.tires get choppy on the ends when your runing added lbs for long periods of time and your tire pressure being low only makes things worse.

Ford mechanic seen it all
  9. NoStockBikes!!

Thanks Mike, good advice. Of course my post was just a joke about that scrunching sound that fresh snow makes under your tires, but the tire wear thing is prolly a good heads up. I have an Ultramount, so my plow has been hooked up for all of about 30 minutes this year. :realmad: Hopefully I'll need to rotate my tires by the time it's melting, though.
  10. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Can't say I have been having that problem,

Had two plow events last year, and have had a 2" this year along
    with 2 salt events??????

Not sure what is going on, our high a few days ago was warmer
    than all of Florida!!!!

Ski resorts are closed from no snow, one averages about 150"
    annually, had water running in the P-lot from rain yesterday with
    everything melted at the base, you have to go to almost
    6000 feet for snow

Good first two years to be in the business for myself.............