1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another mess

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mdb landscaping, Nov 29, 2002.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Well, any of you northeast guys get to go back out again friday night? snow showers turned into 2 inches. It was a complete mess. it caught the state off guard and there were accidents everywhere. nobody could get up any hills. after they plowed it was freezing right back up again. I was plowing one of my driveways which is on a hill. I was making my last pass and put it in reverse at the top of the hill, and all four just locked up and i went for the ride sideways down the driveway. luckily didnt hit anything, and didnt damage anything. Layed quite a bit of salt down on that one. anybody else have some stories.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2002
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

MDB, glad to hear you didnt hit anything. Ice is a real pain. That was funny when you said, Layed quite a bit of salt down on that one. :D Mike

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

mdb, glad you're ok. I hadn't given this one much thought all day. NWS predicted 1" and Weatherbug didn't even mention any accumulation. Wife and I went to supper about 5:30 and it's covered the roads pretty good and real slick. Waiting to see how much we wind up with, cause all mine are on 3" triggers except for one private road that told me to use my own discretion for plowing and sanding. So I'm thinking I might get a sanding in there in the morning. Have to wait and see with the rest. At least it'll be Saturday. Nobody cares when I get there on Sat.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

9:30 and it hasn't snowed for about two hours now. Less than an inch on the ground. Looks like another dud.:( .

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I went out sanding for a couple hours. Maybe more tonight, freezing rain predicted.

6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

MDB,
    Only flurries down here by the coast, and it warmed up throuoghout the evening. About 40 right now, and eveything left over from Wednesday is melting pretty quickly.

_ Glad you're OK, and didn't damage yourself, or your baby I saw in the other thread (Very Nice rig) !

7. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

and the state was caught off guard??/

Chains, Chains, Chains!!!!

I don't know why a hillside plowman would not use chains on a drive when state road conditions indicate that there might be a bit of ice on the roads.

You risk injury to yourself, as well as property damage to your customer, and the risk of damage to your truck would take you out of business.

You need a belt and suspenders when you plow hillside drives, good tires and chains give you that security.

Buy a set for the fronts and use them if you do hillside drives. If you really want to be a Plowman Pro-grade, buy and use sets on both front and rear drive axles.

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Tommy ,, dont know about ct, but NJ they dont allow tire chains on state or county roads unless its more than a certain amount of inches accumulation....

Matt Glad to here all is good.....

I was working on some cleanups yesturday and in the middle of the afternoon it started flurring and than came down good , and then in a few minutes was gone.... and when I was done blowing leaves, you could not even tell we got anything.. pretty lame...

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Half of my leaf clean ups are under 3 inches of snow! Timing is everything, you have to wait until the leaves are down to clean up, yet get them up before snow. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I'm hoping for a quck melt off, then a week to finish. After that, I hope it snows like heck!

10. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Over half of the cleanups we have left are under 7" of snow and it doesnt look like it will be melting any time soon, some accounts are really pissed off that they didnt get done and are probably going to expect to be done once you can see grass no matter what time of year it is, oh well, we delt with the 3" ok, we were missing a few workers so it went a little slower but we did ok, also it helped that it was 45degrees out today.Just my two cents

11. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

SCL, I took my leaf box and loader off today. I got all my accounts done, but had two more weeks of non customers who called and wanted cleanups. Im slowly putting the equipment away. I dont think we are going to have time to do leaves if the snow melts. Ill leave out some equipment to do a few cleanups if possible, but im under the impression im all done for leaves for the year.

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Matt
    That is exactly what happened down here as well. The ride from Norwich to Colchester was a mess, I got off RT2 and took side roads. The CT DOT was no where in site and even if they were there, traffic had it all snarled. Like Pelican said its all about timeing, and the snow hit a a very bad time. We plowed from 4 pm till 10 pm. All commercial accounts got plowed. My 84 was still down with no wipers, so I called a sub in, he was happy for the plowing. Big Thanks to Ray for helping.
    On a side not my weather service is 0 for 2. They predicted 1-3" on Wed, and we ended up with 6-8". For friday there was a blurb in my 10 forcast about a snow flurries and possibly a coating, not 1.5-2". So I call and ask how much we are going to get, a 1/4" or so is the answer, and tell him we all ready have 1" down and heavy snow, so he faxes me an update that reads 1-3". Of course I already know that since I am the one who told him.I will give them one more chance, hen I will start making some noise about refunds.