1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another light problem.....Help!

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Mike S, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Ok im not sure if its part of the plow setup but im looking for some input..... I got 06 c4500 with ex 90. We had some problems matching the harness but scott got that all taken care of. It all work until now. I lost the running lights but still have hazards and brake lights. The head light work too but there is something wrong with the high beams when the plow is hooked up. The day time running lights also dont work now either. I check all of the fuses and im good there. checked all the relays on the plow light harness and under the hood in the fuse panel and seem to be good there too. Any input? Scott? I just dont want to start tearing the light harness apart and it not being it.

PS the plow works great and love it so im still a happy buyer!
  2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Let's start with a few questions. If it WAS working, then the options are little more limited (connector issues, wire damage, fuse, etc.)

You lost the running lights on the plow AND the truck, or just the plow?
    Everything works normally when the plow is off?
    What the high beams do on the plow?
    Low beam on the plow still works normally?
    Turn signals work normally?

Was this switched ground or standard?
  3. Mike S

Lost the running lights on everything with the plow on or off.
    The high beams work fine with the plow off. When on the truck they click on and off when on the truck.
    low beams work fine.
    turns work fine.
    hazards work fine.
    it was not a switched ground.
  4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

OK - let's start with the running lights then as they are the easiest to troubleshoot. You'll need a test light (or voltmeter)

First, unplug each plow light (one at a time) and see if that has any impact on your lighting issue (to rule out the lights as a problem).

The BROWN wire at the plow headlights is the HOT for the parking light bulb. The BLACK wire at the headlights is the GROUND for all of the bulbs.

With the plow on and the truck on (and lowbeams on), unplug one of the plow headlights and check each of the wires. YELLOW should be hot (low beam), BROWN should be hot (probably won't be). BLACK should be ground.

Turn on the high beams and check for voltage at the green wire - I'm not sure what you mean by clicking on and off. Do they "randomly" switch back and forth between truck and plow? And this ONLY happens in High Beam?

If you find something that randomly flakes out, a "wiggle" test is always a good idea. Go though all of your connectors and wiggle them to see if you can idenfify where the issue is coming from.

I'm thinking what you are describing could be caused by an intermittent ground, but I don't understand why the low beams are working normally.
  5. Mike S

found the running light problem a mismarked fuse that was almost all the way burned out. Bump the fuse and the running lights would turn on and off. Thats a new one for me..... The high beams are still a issue though. Im really not sure what they are doing now. When you turn them on with the plow hooked up it flashes back and fourth between high and low beams. I will do some more checking in the morning.
  6. Mike S

High beams on the plow still a issue. Another issue is that the plastic cover over the pump didnt handle the cold very well it cracked into to pieces. It cracked just sitting there...... We have had no plowing in weeks here. The Snow deflector also came apart on the Rt70 East! That was very interesting to see/woke me up! It also shattered like the cover. Im not looking for new one but I thought you should know. Im making a new cover out of diamond plate aluminum and going with the rubber snow deflector instead.