1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another leaf spring question thread...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Gix1k4, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I've searched on here, ford-trucks.com, powerstroke.org and a few other F-series enthusiast sites with no clear answer on this.

Are there different "X" code springs for trucks equipped with gas and diesel engines? Or is an X code good for all powerplants?

I bought a set of x code springs yesterday out of a 5.4 truck, and i want to install them in my diesel truck. My understanding is that there is only one x code, and it covers all the engine applications. Correct?

Thanks for any clarification.

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yup

X Codes are X codes. The X code springpack is noticably thicker then the other packs. It should lift front of truck 1-2" depending on engine and with plow on there will be little droop at all. They are the 6000lbs springs that were available in plow prep F350s and found on most 450/550 trucks especially with the diesel. Below that are the other springs 5600, 5200 etc coded by letter.

X codes run about $200/side from the dealer. If you know the dealer well you can get them for 180 or so. I think they list at 230. I am usually pretty careful about buying used springs. Back when the trucks were current you could find them as people pulled them to lift new trucks. Now though you are buying a 8-12 year old spring.

3. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I found a solid set of used x-codes. got them for $200 canadian and installed them yesterday. The difference is amazing.