1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another insurance question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Banksy, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you guys only plowed your own driveway, but kept the plow on to run down the street for a gallon of milk, are you covered if you get into a wreck on the way? Rear end, side swipe, whatever it may be. If it was your fault are you covered or does the plow alone void anything out in your policy? I called my insurance agent about GL and asked this question. She said "I probably wouldn't be covered", keep in mind it wasn't the head honcho agent, just one of the office people. I went through this with them last year and they called back after a week and said they had nothing for me that they could find. It's State Farm, I would have thought they would have something. However, they do want to sit down about life insurance and are constantly calling me for that :gunsfiring:. I understand that if you are plowing commercially and take out a car in the parking lot, your normal everyday car insurance wouldn't pick up the tab. That's what GL is for. So what about running from job site to job site? I know these insurance questions are annoying and vary from state to state and company to company, but a general idea would be helpful.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I know insurance questions can be annoying, but no opinions so far?

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

ive heard both ways. i believe you are covered as long as they dont prove your accepting money which would make it commercial. that said. i was also referred to talk to a underwriter. that said. im so sick of talking about insurance...............:cry:

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I know I know. That's why I hated to post this, but I still wanted to ask. Don't :gunsfiring: me!!

5. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

The reason that they may have a trouble coming up with an answer is that very few plows get used strictly privately. There is usually some commercial work slipping in around the edges. The assumption may be commercial use with you having to prove that it is strictly private use. I'm now going to turn this scenerio around on you, in light of the current discussions on plowing coverage, why are you carrying a plow around when not in use in North Carolina. How many times a year is it actually called upon to move snow? Wouldn't it be simpler to jettison the plow after each use?

6. heather lawn spray

so be quiet already, problem solved

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Very very true. It doesn't snow much down here, but with an inch on the ground plows come out of nowhere. I will get $100 an hour for using my truck and there is a TON of work to be had according to the guy I plan to sub for. He's on here, "RGrimes". If you saw the properties he has contracted, you'd want to plow the couple inches we get too. They aren't dinky parking lots, they are the size of college campuses. The least we are hoping for is a couple storms with a couple inches each. Even with just that we can make payuppayuppayup.

So, if I find GL then I am covered for anything while plowing. Let me clarify my question. Will GL cover me while I drive from site to site and to and from home? If not, that's why I asked the original question.

8. heather lawn spray

so. . .

The question about private use plows has nothing to do with your real question, which is?

also; fill me in about southern plowing: for 2x$800 a night you'd buy a $5000 plow?

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sorry, I didn't really word it well at first.

If I have GL for while I am plowing, does my regular car insurance still come into play when something happens to and from the job site.

I didn't buy a $5000 plow. So far I have $300 into my MM1. I have been slowly gathering pieces over the past year. I got MM head gear and a brand new A frame last week for free and an 8' Speedcast that I got from Ebay for $150, just using the blade from that. And the mounts for my truck from Ebay for $150. I'd buy a $5000 plow if I still lived in Mass, but here I am trying to keep the overhead as low as possible. I will plow more than 8 hours a storm, believe me. :)

Here's my plow so far,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. heather lawn spray

It will but in ways you won't like involving words like
    fraud
    subrogation
    cancellation

There is a reason why you would be making $100 an hour, commercial vehicle insurance can be anywhere from 10 to 30% of the gross revenue
    INSURANCE 101

Question again

How is your truck currently rated?

commercial lines or personal lines insurance. This has nothing to do with the CGL your commercial business insurance. This question pertains only to the rolling stock.

11. heather lawn spray

Ok good job on the plow. As an aside, how many hours a season do you realistically expect to get in?

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Personal use, since I didn't need commercial when I bought the truck four years ago. I could always change it I assume. Here's a guess. If we get just one plowable event and I can plow for a full day........$2400.00 (just keeping the #'s even) I'll pay 10-30% of that to be covered...........
    There is a labratory campus that is so big, it will take a few trucks and full day to do it. They also want to be plowed at even a 1/2 inch of snow, he plowed it last year but I wasn't ready.He has also hooked up with a guy who has 60 shopping center type properties. We got 20 inches here in January 2001. The state/city was shut down for a week! Enough coffee and holy cow look out payup!

I had commercial insurance on my plow trucks in Mass. It was even cheaper than than personal insurance.....go figure. I think these insurance people here are clueless since I'm sure it's not asked of them every day.

If GL can cover me while driving around then this question would be irrelevant.

13. heather lawn spray

CGL won't cover you on the road only for stuff you are working on (unless you are working on the road working for the roads dept)

These guys are really that afraid of snow they'll have it plowed at half inch?

If you bump into somebody on the road the the auto policy supercedes the CGL, so you'd better have a commercial auto policy in place

Look at it this way:
    CGL for the quality of your work

commercial auto policy for the quality of your driving

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks HLS, that's what I was wondering. I appreciate your time.:waving:

I guess this question didn't deserve 16 posts, but hey......:rolleyes:

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

GL will not cover you for driving around and having an accident involving the truck. That would be your Commercial Vehicle policy. Generally, your Personal Use policy will not cover you if you are plowing commercially (you get ANYTHING for plowing). Some personal use policies will cover you with a plow on under specific circumstances. For instance, I could plow my own property and a property I rent with a personal policy and I could leave the plow on while on a public roadway IF I was going DIRECTLY to or from the NEAREST gas station to refuel (that was right in the policy).

The above are general guidelines based on my conversations with my insurance agent, clarifications by the Underwriter and reading MY insurance policies.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Big 10-4 on that. Thanks Mick. I'll call Monday and go over it again. They might not have understood what I was asking for last time. However, they are ready to sell me any other insurance I could possibly want! :sleeping:

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but can subs get put on the employers GL somehow? Then all I'd have to get is a comm. policy.

17. heather lawn spray

They can but that is a 'company policy' thing with the insurance underwriter.

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Gotcha. Thanks again guys, good luck this winter. :drinkup:

I'll end this here unless anybody has something to add that wasn't said.