1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another insurance question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 600rrpilot, Jan 11, 2007.

1. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

If i am plowing for a company with my vehicle can i be held liable for any slip and fall injuries that occur at a lot? considering they sign a contract with "insert name here" company?

thanks in advance
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No expert here.If someone falls, you sue everybody and let the lawyers figure it out later whose fault it is.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you their employee or a subcontractor or the contractor?

Like Grandview stated they will name every one involved.

The lawyers like going for/after the people with the deepest pockets.
  4. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

well lol....im a 22 year old with no money so....

I was never really told, given, or overheard a specific title.....such as subcontractor, employee...or whatever..

I do know however i will be paid by check....not under the table.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you get paid by check that don't mean anything. If they don't take taxes out you'll get a 1099 that makes you sub, if they hire you they will make you fill out a w-2(?) and they will take taxes out for you. I think that will make them responsible but you could still be sued if you acted like a idiot.
  6. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

everyone gets sued!

The owner of the property gets sued,the people doing business on the property get sued and then me the PLOW guy gets hammered and up go the rates.

15 years plowing and been sued twice.Its not a pleasant expereance.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

"Anybody can sue anyone at anytime for anything"

They probably wouldn't come after someone with no money, but they could include that person with a group. Then, if they win, collect from whoever has money, property or insurance. The person with no money, property or insurance gets a judgement against them for a portion of any future income.