1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another "injured plow" that came into my work to be repaired............

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 75, Jan 15, 2002.

1. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

........................ this particular one I didn't work on, but I saw what had happened: It's a 10' straight blade, may have been a Western HW at one time, adapted to a quick-attach frame for use on a backhoe. Don't know how one would manage this, but the front of the A-frame had been worn down to where the nut on the pivot bolt wasn't there any more! :eek:

Neither was the plate that used to be welded to the bottom of the square-tube A-frame.

Nothing was broken, just scraped away & polished smooth. Now, the blade still had a cutting edge on it so I'm still :confused: trying to figure out how someone could wear the pivot bolt off!

2. Grant

Grant Member

That job sounds like it will take you awhile to fix! :eek:

3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

You should be able to recognize the A-frame for an HW Rob. You saw mine when you were down here, the sector should give it away.

Bruce

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That suprises me. I have seen the rear pivots for the angle cylinders wear out. This happens I assume when the blade is raised as the end of a run and this area hits the curbing. I have seen it a few times on Western and Meyer plows mounted on Chevies. I guess the low mounts combined with the lower truck heaight makes for contact.

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Maybe they replaced the cutting edge sometime after they wore the other stuff away? Keep in mind too, that truck mounted A frames will always be some inches above the pavement where they attach to the truck. Not sure how it was mounted to the machine, but on a backhoe the loader arms will almost certainly reach all the way to the ground if that's where the operator allows them to be. It still sounds like it should've started wearing away the bottom of the plow itself though, if they hadn't replaced that edge yet...

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

The moldboard itself looks similar to the Western HW, but the sector/A-frame doesn't.

I just saw the poor thing on the bench, one of the other guys got to do the repair. Since it's been around for a while, and we've done some other minor repairs on it over the years, I suspect the problem this time around had more to do with the "operator" than the "design". :rolleyes:

I would've thought the same thing, digger, about the bottom of the plow wearing off first. Only thing I can figure is the operator having the loader arms right down near the ground, and possibly lifting the front of the machine up at the same time to get more weight on the plow......................... Oh well, it's back in service now 'till they break it again!

At least where the metal fab side of things is concerned, operator abuse can = $$$ coming in ! :D

7. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Plow abuse 101.

He better kept is bucket if he want to scrape or is boss is better to learn him how to operate "properly" is device.

around here, is common to see the tilt cylinder"fix", and the hydros goes for pro wing.

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

You are 100% correct Denis - probably easier in the long run to put the bucket back on than re-train the operator! :p

This was a pretty unusual "plow injury", what I tend to see the most is the result of trying to use a truck as a 988 or equivalent: Bent/broken/cracked A-frames, mounts etc.............

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I have a good friend, now in his mid 80's, who's been just about everywhere, and done just about everything (at least everything that you can do with heavy equipment), and one thing he told me was, "Never let a dozer operator drive a plow truck. They forget...".