1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another I need help thread...

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by modedicebox, Oct 28, 2008.

1. modedicebox

modedicebox Junior Member

Hi Guys,
    We are a small landscape maintenance company and now have the equipment and opportunities to begin a snow plow crew. I have a few questions in regarding bidding lots over an acre. How do you get to your numbers? Is there a formula that would include(plowing) sq ft x so many minutes=price (salting)bags x sq ft x minutes=price? I hope this makes sense. Thank you
    Jim

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, it makes sense but, no, there's not. Each site has to be evaluated on the circumstances (depth of snow/ice, temperature etc) at the time.

3. modedicebox

I got ya. Thanks for the reply Mick.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plus you have to base prices on what the customer wants. Bare pavement.....wet pavement or just get the snow off and salt just as needed.

5. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

I wish it were that easy! While I agree w/ Mick that “Each site has to be evaluated on the circumstances (depth of snow/ice, temperature etc)” You can still start to create a accurate base estimating system.

1. We group our properties by type (Office, Retail, Residential Condo, Medical, Etc.)
    Then Each type gets broken down into 3 difficulty classes. This will help get
    you into the ball park when bidding new work

2. We measure all pavement to be cleared and sidewalks (You can use these #s
    for estimating deicing material quantities)

3. We also track the amount of time it takes by task (plowing, skidsteer, shoveling
    etc.) this gives us production rates for the type and class of property.

4. Gather as much historical data as you can, track how many plowing events
    you have per season, how many salting events. (check w/ your local Dept. of
    Climatology). We track the storms by size, by year and look at the avg. (It
    helps when you have 10+ years of records)
    Year 0” – 1” 1” – 3” 3” – 6” 6” – 9” 9 – 12 12 + Total Events
    03 - 04 4 6 5 3 2 2 22
    04 - 05 2 8 2 4 1 2 19
    Avg 3 7 3.5 3.5 1.5 2 20.5

5. Know your costs! We track gross profit after each storm, we set a % target for each account and if it falls below it, we know we have a problem (is it our estimating, our systems?)

It is a lot of work but it will pay off in the long run. Snow produces the highest margins in our company.

6. Consider joining SIMA (Snow and Ice Management Association) It’s a great
    organization of professionals! Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions

scottcarson@plci.biz

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Nice post. What's the average % of net profit you try to make off of each account?

(That's a good looking website too, looks like you've got quite an operation)

7. modedicebox

Wow! Great info. Thank you much for taking the time and giving some great advice. I will look into SIMA.

8. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

Our gross target is 65% with the hope of 15% net. If our gross goes up so does our net and vise versa. BUT the 65% works with our costs! I will say a properly managed site can see 80% - 90% gross...

9. B-Sharp

B-Sharp Junior Member
    from Oh

we plow at 2 In I take the Lot Sq Ft / what you can plow Per min ( On average A truck can plow 600Qs ft a min) times you truck rate

38000 lot size tuck rate $100.00

3800/600=63.33 Min

63.3*1.66= $105.00

10. modedicebox

Thanks for the help guys!

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

and you have to remember that every area has different standard rates