1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Headache - Electrical

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jgramlich, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

So I have my 91 Bronco with a 7.6 pre- unimount Western and newer western spreader. The truck has a nearly brand new alternator and battery.It will not hold a charge. I'm going to rip the thing apart Friday, but in the mean time, I was wondering if there are some common places in the plow harness or wiring that may be shorting, pinching etc. It may save me some time.

As always, thanks a ton. (I'll post this in the Ford Truck section as well)

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

IF you say you have a new "alt", did you have the charging system check out to see if the alt is defected?

If the alt is "not"defected, and the battery check out good, then you have a draw some were. Here is something simple you can do
    A) check ALL grounds from the battery to the engine, engine to body frame.
    B) make sure all connections are clean.
    C) check the wires on the solenoid. Make sure they are all clean and in-tack.
    D) check the ground wire on the plow frame (black/orange) make sure that is all clean and bolt down firmly.
    E) check the control harness going through the fire to make sure no wire are chaff (casing broken)

If all is good, then do this test;
    making sure there is nothing on inside the truck and everything off, using a "test light", remove the positive wire from the battery, clip one end to the positive side of the battery, and stabbing the pointed end of the test light into the positive cable. With the doors shut, and everything off inside the truck, the test light should NOT light up. If the test light DOES light up, then you have a short somewhere. The easy way to find the short, is to remove your fuses (one by one) and see if the test light goes out. When it does go out when you pull the fuse, look on the fuse block and it will tell you what that fuse control. It seems like a lot but it not, just time consuming. Let us know what happen. I would first have the charging system and battery check out first to see if one of them is defected.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Yeah, my first step is to check the alt and battery with a voltage meter and go from there. Thanks for the help, I'll report back Friday.

4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Good advice Twin!

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

No problem sir. Good luck..

Better having the charging system check, so they can put a "load" test on the system.

6. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

Check and make sure it doesn't have an external voltage regulator. I think they may have stopped it bu then but if its not working or has a bad connection the battery can't charge.