1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another great thread closed because of dumb rants

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Neige, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I am getting tired of seeing good, knowledgeable, thought provoking, informative threads being shut down because of dumb rants. We all have a right to our opinions, but this is a snow industry forum, can we leave out derogatory comments about our two great countries, girlfriends, mothers, religion, education, politics, size, age, etc. What stays, and what gets shut down or deleted is in our own hands. Can we please leave out the negative personal stuff, and focus on the issues at hand. Can we agree to disagree, without having to go down the road that shuts down threads.
    If you feel so inclined that you have no choice but to rant, I just opened up a new email address called psrants@gmail.com
    sent it there and lets keep open our threads.
    Thanks ussmileyflagtymusic:drinkup:
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

good point Paul, we just need to understand that everyone has their own opinions and that we are entitled to that, regardless if its right or wrong. We can try to explain the valid points of our views but that doesnt mean we need to shove it down peoples throats or that they HAVE TO see it "our" way. Just like the age old chevy vs. ford vs. dodge debate, just be thankful we live in two great countries that afford us the luxury of having that choice and opinion.
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed on the OP's point for sure!
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

This is the main reason why I don't post much anymore. Everything you say comes under the microscope and people read way to far into what your saying. Sarcasm is generally taken the wrong way, feelings are hurt and then the thread is closed. We're here to learn and have fun. I personally wouldn't say anything on here I wouldn't say to your face and to the people that know me I'd probably say more to your face. I think if we all did this the internet would be a better place. Everyone is bigger on the internet and it doesn't need to be that way. We're all just trying to get ahead in life so lets open our eyes and learn in a fun environment.
  5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I have felt the same lately... PS is a great site for information, but the rants about everything non snow or equipment related get old. That's one of the main reasons I don't participate in other forums/sites on the internet. For politics, I'd go to a political discussion board. (I don't) If it's personal self help, I'm sure you can find a site for that!
    Personally, I enjoy sharing ideas and hope some of my posts have helped others. However, as Neige posts, why have a thread shut down because the subject was so off topic.
    Also, having something I post ripped apart and analyzed to death, not for me.... I've reached a point that instead of posting here, I can just call some of the guys (from PS) on the phone and discuss the situation. Now we all lose out!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Agreed, lots keyboard tough guys out there
  7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Deleting individual posts can be a difficult road to travel. It makes people much more angry than if you close or delete the thread. It also requires lots of judgement calls about grey areas. It becomes a form of censorship. It makes staff look like they're failing to be impartial.

These issues are standard on all forums/mailing lists/groups/etc. I try to avoid contributing to it but sometimes I get sucked in while posting what I think is part of an innocent discussion.

When I realize I'm participating in it, I try to let the other guy have the last word. I try to imagine what others might think of both sides, what effect it might really have if one side or the other "wins" or if we just let the discussion die. Winning usually means you look like a jerk. Losing usually means you look like a loser. Either way it is rare that anybody is convinced of anything. Letting it die just means that people will forget the whole thing.

Sometimes when I think there is something for someone to learn (whether that someone is myself, my opponent, or bystanders) I try to address just that part of the issue.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
  8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Well said....
  9. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I'd be more active as well if the environment was more productive. So glad to see so much consensus on this issue. I don't think it was a big issue, but definately an irritant.

Dave's post summarized the issue nicely. There is no solution to it, it is a part of life on and off the computer.

Post on!
  10. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Im going to have to agree.
    But that's the American way!! (I can't speak for Canada...)

Wait a minute...... are we ranting about dumb rants? haha
  11. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Well said everyone.I feel is the source of many failed forums. I haven't been a member here long but in the 2 years it seems like each month it gets worse and worse. Here is a thanks to all the members that keep on topic and ignore the skeptics. You do make a difference.

P.S NEIGE I think you might over exceed the gmail storage capacity...
  12. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

That thread was useful and is a shame it took such a bad turn. I enjoy picking up stuff from guys that are successful, helps make my life a little easier no mater what country it comes from.
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming some posts were deleted as what I read that is left isn't so bad.

Some very good info in that thread. Glad to see it was left up, at least. Too bad discussion couldn't continue, but it is what it is.

I know when I grow up I want to be just like Neige.
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

WOW I must missed that one, let me guess. WALMART, USM, NATIONAL COMPANY. Was it one of those 3, or all 3. I try and stay away when i see those topic's, it never turns out good.
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Guess I missed it.
  16. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

we can leave this thread here, however, I am closing this one down

I don't think the point of Neige starting this thread was to have everyone bashing the bashing or ranting about rants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.