1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another front end vibration ? 96 k2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fordmstng66, Dec 20, 2010.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

Ok I have a 96 k2500 have vibration in front end starts about 35 to 40 mph. I have new tires balanced 2 times by different shops, new tie rod assembly and alignment. Is it possible that if someone put a socket or bolta in front of the actuator and locked the front, that it could be that? I will probaby pull that next and replace it with the manual cable kit that is sold. My other idea could be the universals, but they seem ok, will also have my buddy put it on a lift and have him check that out also. Just looking to see if the locked axle in front would cause the vibration. Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

are you in 4wd when vib starts ?

if so some vib is normal in 4wd front ends. but if this is somthing new then check further.

also if in 4wd and vibs check the front drive shaft from the tcase to the diff. the slip yoke section on these freezes up a lot and binds the shaft. also pull the shaft to check this and try and flex the ujoints by hand. thay might look tight and no slop but could be frozen on the inside.

i have seen lots of them like this over the years wrenchin for a living. :mechanic:

also easy way to see if front end is locked at the diff or frozen actuator in the on position from some one messin with it is a easy test. truck in park . set ebrake if it works if you dont know DONT TRY just block the wheels. then tcase in 2wd for sure. then reach under the left front and try and spin the drive shaft to the frt diff. if it spins the diff is not locked in. if it wont spinn then the diff is locked in some how.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. fordmstng66

I really do not drive much in 4x4 unless pushing snow, so I do not know if it vibrates in 4x4 or not, but I guess would be good idea to try. I will also test the drive shaft and see if it spins freely in 2wd. Thanks for the reply, I am just hoping some shoved a socket or something inside because the actuator did not work.

4. fordmstng66

Thank you for your help, I finally got to checking the front drive shaft, and it is not spinning while in 2 wdz, so I am guessing my actuator is bad, I will have my buddy put it on his lift so I can check it out, still debating whether or not to just replace the electric actuator, or just spend the extra cash and do the posi-loc instead.

5. sweetk30

posi lock or factory style about same price.

but find the prob first then go from there. no need to waste money to find other problem you missed cause you skiped 10 extra min of testing. payup

6. sweetk30

7. fordmstng66

Sweetk30 thanks. I know that there is power to the actuator, I had checked that before I replaced my tcase, and also checked it after replacing the tcase. That thread you posted does not really say much about what else to test, I will try and do a search tomorrow and see if there is a different thread on it, as I am at work til 5:00 am