1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another fizzle,,&%@$!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Well,, Friday morning our local forecaster (Tom Messner,, should be Messedup) started out warning of a Nor'easter. By yesterday morning (Sat.) he was down to "a few inches" (musta been talking about his sex life on the radio again). Last night it was down to 1-2" between midnight and daybreak.

I checked at 3AM, it has just started to snow. Checked at 4:30AM, less than an inch and even that was slushy out on the street. As of 9:30AM it is over, maybe an inch, currently moderate overcast, 30 deg. and rising.

I wasn't really wanting to plow anyhow, so we harnessed everything up yesterday afternoon. One S sits here with plow and saltshaker all teh time anyhow, the other got both plows hung and my son mounted his vee plow just in case. No better way to keep the snow elsewhere than to be prepared. Did anybody else get to test hop the equipment?

By the way, through the whole thing, Weatherbug was consistently the most accurate forecast available.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i got to test out my new truck/fisher. got about 2 inches of slushy stuff. not really a big deal, but the towns/states/and contractors were out.
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

We haven't even had THAT much snow! Only thing I've been testing is "plow on, plow off". My brilliant plan to have the plow on by mid-November and ready to go came off on schedule, but there's been nothing to plow and I've ended up needing to use the truck for a couple other tasks and didn't feel like dragging the blade around in 50-degree temps.

So right now the plow is "off" and a trailer is "on". Oh well, I've got to be outside today so the March weather won't feel too bad............
  4. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

Got about 2" here. Plowed all the parking lots and cleaned side walks. Got to test out a couple of things Michilen XZT's tires on the F550 it did make a big diffrence over the get stuck on a bannana peel generals that came on the truck & my Yard Machines Snow Buster snow blower which is 1' wide and is powered by a weed wacker motor threw the snow about 15'.
  5. Grant

Grant Member

Got about 2" that actually stuck to paved areas, 3" to 4" out back in the pasture. Started plowing around 4am, go like hell before it melts!
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Did some spreading and shoveled (pushed) the walks off. Was very slippery slush. Just had to do condos and churches early. Everything else left alone. No real plowing.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

At least some got to push something. We got an inch total. Nobody here would even think of pushing an inch. In the middle of the snow, I went to breakfast and talked with a couple of other plowers.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We applied straight salt when our ground temps reached 31 degrees. That was at about 4.30 am, then we wentback home and slept. Did a drive around this am and the salt melted all of the slush. Could see where between the cars about 1.0" had accumulated. So the salt application did the trick. No need for any sand. We also treated the walks at the same time, and no need to shovel either. Actually there really wasnt any need to mount the plow, but like Alan said, the surest way to drive the snow elsewhere is to be prepared.
    Like CT 18, we only serviced the condo's, hotel and churches.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I know we have discussed ground temp and different ways of measuring it before. I would really like to hear your strategy for using the temp, and how a typical morning like this would go.

Would you consider starting a new thread with your examples and stratagies, either here or at SIMA's forum?
  10. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

All Dressed up with no where to go

Well, just on the off chance the wrongcasters were right with the amounts and wrong with the fabled rain /snow line placement I suited up the truck. Heck I even washed it so, it would look good in the driveway while I waited.

Well, NOTHING HAPPENED , except I got my lawn watered really good. Too bad I didnt put down that winter fertilizer instead of washing the truck!!!!!!!!!

OH WELL, Took the Plow off so we can go get our christmas tree this week... with temps predicted in the 50's I think I'll be safe :eek:

I'mmmmmmmmmmm dreamin of a White Christmas, just like the ones I used toooooooo Knowwwwwwwwwwww:D
  11. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

The "Weather Network" forecasted 10-15cm for Friday night - Saturday Night. Environment Canada called for zero accumulation. How they could come up with two totally different forecasts for the same city is beyond me.

We got nothing. It didn't even precip at all! Cold, but brilliant sunshine. Even though all our accounts are seasonal contracts, I wouldn't have minded going out. Saturday night's the best time of the week to plow our lots. Now they're calling for a Green Christmas.
  12. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

4am my driveway was black but slushy. Went out anyways. 10 miles west at a commercial account, 4 inches of wet snow. Back to Hartford 2 inches of wet snow. Plowed the commercials til 8, then hit residentials til just before noon, by then most of what was on the pavement had vanished. Did the ones with a retainer first, to use it up on an easy push.

Gotta harvest while you can!
  13. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Here in Middlesex county Mass we got up to 9"... found a few curbs and grass. I wish the ground was frozen, but I will take it however it comes.
  14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Good thinking Lawnguy. I am a little concerned about tonight. Supposed to get cold. Pavement is still wet here. Could mean more spreading in the morning.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Most of Boston received 2-3 inches depending on your distance from the water. Most accounts 2", biggest account (area) 0 inches!
  16. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

Lucky you guys....Still no snow here and in the 10day forcast looks like no snow and 50's again.....At leaste I know how easy it is to put on my Western Pro-Plow......Good luck guys....with the snow that is...Please Lord let it snow...Please.....:cool:
  17. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

got nothing at all. Just a whole lot of plows to take off tommorrow.

18. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

I am not sure that we here in Indiana will have any snow this year. The temps are getting up to the 40"s & 50" this ain't right.
    I refuse to take the plow off this week, I'll ride my bike first.
    don't remember when we didn't have at least one push before now. We have had more than our share of rain, seems that it could get a little colder and bless us with a little snow.:D

ready to plow
  19. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

We are still waiting in Michigan. Have had a couple of forcasts of snow and ice but to no avail. I know what I am going to do. I'll get my Zero turn out again and then it will snow.
    At least haing a lot of time for maintenacce issues. If you aren't prepared this year already for snow you had better hang up the plow.
    Let it Snow!!! Let it Snow!!! Let it Snow!!!:eek: :D
  20. jjdonovan

jjdonovan Member

6-8" in Western Mass.

Yeah we finally got snow sun. morning. The BIG BUMMER is that Iwas not called out by my town to plow, (anyone in western mass. western conn. looking for to hire ) was so bummed decided to plow my road just to push some snow around:D :D