1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another F-150 question.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bowtie_guy, Nov 27, 2004.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I have read the other post about the 93 i beleave was his year for plowing. I know the TTB isn't the greatest but hey I wouldn't be doing tons of plowing to make a living. I will leave that to the real pros.

I'd use it to plow my yard and a couple others at most. I was looking over on some of the plow makers sites and I don't see any place where they list applications. Western has a setup for this stye truck. Does anyone know of others?

The truck I have is an 87 F-150 with a 302 and 4 speed standard.

I was just wondering what you guys would recomend for this truck to do some personal plowing.
    Thanks for the help!!

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Any 7'6" plow, most companies make mounts :nod:

4. Tarkus

You are quick to sell any 7 1/2 foot regardless of weight plow for a little use on a lightweight truck. This guy has to live with it not you or I.

5. cja1987

Its not like iam recommendating a 9'6" V Plow here, relax! You recommned a 7' which is too short, he would be driving on snow. The Curtis 7' is a nice plow, I have one on a Jeep Cherokee, its too short for the F-150. Many people have 7'6" on 1/2 tons, its not a problem, its the standard plow for that type of truck. My plow weighs 750 LBS, never had a problem.

Yes, I understand he has to live with what he buys, but iam also confident that a 7'6" is the right plow for the truck. Iam not making irrational recommendations here. I would hope he would not go solely on what he hears on this site either. If thats your opinion fine, you seem to only see the negative side of anything, your probley the kind who does nothing but tell people that plowing will beat the crap out of their truck unless its a 3/4 or 1 ton. You have your opinions, thats what this site is for, its not a problem. Just don't go after every perfectly rational recommendation i make. A

6. Tarkus

I am also confident with a heavy plow (because not all 7 1/2 footers are light) he will see accelerated tire wear on his TTB front end. This is not a work truck, he is just looking for something to clear his driveway mostly and he may want to keep truck for a while too and not have to fix front end in a few years and watch tires wear quickly and front end handle squirrly too at times when plow is on and on a bumby road. Help the guy get what he needs not what you think he needs. If he goes your route he may have to install timberns too and have his ride suffer as well when no plow is attached. Keep it simple. :nono:

7. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

Pay somebody to do your drive. My opinion is why spend 3 grand on something to only do your drive? I don't understand why people do that. Just pay someone the 20 bucks then you don't have to worry about killing your truck. Let alone the time it takes (ever how small it is) still takes time.

8. cja1987

Its not what i think he needs, objectively a 7'6" plow is right for the truck. Whats the big deal, if hes worried about weight then get a Fisher LD 7'6" or a snoway 7'5". Keep it under 650 LBS, and it will be fine. If he is plowing his drive then taking the plow off, tire wear will not be too much of a problem. Its not going to kill the front end either :nono:

9. cja1987

and incase your interested fisher recommends up to an 8'6" HD which weighs 731 LBS. I think a 7'6" will be fine 7' is WAY too small.

10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree that a 7' blade is way too small. In the angled positin it will not be wide enough to clear a path completely for the truck to drive through. IMO, any full size truck should start at 7 1/2' of blade and go up based on vehicle type and rating.

Bowtie, don't worry about the Ford TTB front end. In your case it has all D-44 running gear which is the same as a Dodge 1500 only the Dodge has a solid axle. The weak point is near the spring perch where it tends to crack and break loose from heavy abuse more so from hard off roading and getting the front end airborn and slamming down hard. As long as you aren't getting crazy I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Personally, I would go with a Homesteader or maybe a Western Uni-Mount 7 1/2' plow.

11. DJC

DJC Senior Member

check out the 7'5 Fisher. That would work great!!!!!!!!!!

12. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

actually the weakest point on a ttb setup whether 44 or 50 is the ujoints, they use the c-clips on the ujoint instead of a full circle clip on the outside of the cap. this allows the cap to slowly walk out of the joint. The next weak spot will be the slip shaft, most people that are using the d44ttb that hard upgraade to the 50's slip shaft and cure the prob. The d50ttb is the same as the 44 except for R&P so no strength there.

Don't worry about the ttb. I wheel mine hard all summer long then plow a few accounts in the winter and the only issues i have are wheel bearings and that is from the 35" tires causing too much leverage. definately go with a 7.5 footer. BTW mine is '85 f150

13. Tarkus

I have some freinds with F150's that have never carried plow and the front ends wonder badly at times and eat tires no matter what you do to them. I have to admitt that they ride nice but there is a trade off in load capacity and tire wear.

14. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

They just seem to have weak steering setup that easily looses it specs. Anytime i go wheeling i have to realign it. Even the superruner steerig setup that acually puts the stress on both tie rods instead of one has the sametype of issues even though it is an mprovement.

15. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone!!

andersonbldrs, it would be cheaper to pay someone but I've always wanted a plow for fun.

16. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

A Fisher 7&1/2' RD should be fine.