1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another electrical question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowman682, May 13, 2010.

1. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

I have a 2007 nbs 2500hd. I need to get power to the trailer plug. Have hooked up the power lead to the stud under the hood, placed fuse in appropriate place. have power going into the wire that supplies the power lead to the trailer (red with black stripe) no power at trailer connector. am i missing something? bought truck in feb 2010. no stickers in glovebox for installed options. trying to avoid taking to dealer. HELP??????

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There are two wires under the hood that need attached, one powers the brake control the other is the 12 volt feed to the rear. If you only hooked one up you might have power to your brakes but not the rear.

3. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

It has the factory brake controller and it works. Didn't see any other wires laying around. Thanks though

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the plug in the rear discount, the US Car connector from the factory harness see if you have 12 volts in the rear harness.

5. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

Not quite sure where you are talking. You talking the plug for the trailer wires? Have not tested the plug in the back of the connection. I will check it though.

6. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

pulled plug on back of connector on the bumper, tested it, no power to lead, everything else works there though. i get a short flicker of light from the brake wire though, lasts about half a second, then goes out, if that means anything

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Means the brake control is working. Time to start chasing wire. you are sure you have the power wire to the proper stud and have power in the wire under the hood?

8. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

The sticker on the wire says 12 volt power for trailer. Yes there is power at the wire under the hood. I see there is a tsb out on this subject, waiting for a buddy to get back to me on what it says exactly. Thanks!

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There are 2 of those red wires under the hood that you are talking about. One is on the drivers side of the fuse box under the hood(that is the one you used, correct) and the other is on the left side further down. The one you need for the wiring at the back of the truck is on the left side. There is also a group of wires under your truck between the cab and the box on the drivers side. The red wire you hooked up powered the red wire in that group of wires. That group is so you can run a trailer hook up inside your box for a 5th wheel trailer.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  10. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

When u say the left side, u mean drivers side still? I understand what you are saying completly. Is the other wire loose taped to a loom somewhere by the box or is it in a loom? I will take a look in the morning. THANKS!

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It is taped to a piece of loom exactly like the other one. It might be under the brake reservoir or close to that. I went through the same thing as you. I hooked up the wrong one also. Do you know what I mean by the extra wires under the truck. It is for hooking up another 7 pin harness inside your box. That group of wires is taped together under the truck so I would undo that other red wire.

12. snowman682

snowman682 Junior Member

Just went out and looked. I see the wire. Just didn't look far enough the first time. I know what u mean by the box for the 5th wheel. Thank you, saved me a big headache. Now I will be able to see in my trailers in the dark!!!!

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I just went and looked at mine. It is under the brake reservoir between the fuse box and the brake reservoir. It is pretty open there, you will see it.