1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another easy upgrade

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by SalvageTitleTJ, Dec 18, 2009.

1. SalvageTitleTJ

SalvageTitleTJ Junior Member

Just swapped a Durango steering box into my 99 TJ. Order a steering box out of a 98 Dodge Durango V8 with the plow package. You have to say "plow package". This is also a bolt in swap. Power steering lines, pitman arm, even the same three mounting bolts. This box has a roughly a 3.5" piston/bore, stock you have roughly 3". It is the same amount of turns from lock to lock on the wheel as well.

Next time I am under the Jeep I will post the number stamped into it. in case you want to pull one out of a junk yard.

This might work on all 97-04 I know it fits on my 99
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Keep them coming!
  3. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Would it be a bolt on for a 2000 cherokee sport?
  4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

My 2003 Rubicon has a leaky Mercedes steering box that I cannot rebuild...I had to buy another used one as a back-up when this one fails...2003-2006 they did this dumb move.
  5. SalvageTitleTJ

SalvageTitleTJ Junior Member

how many bolts mount your steering box to the xj?
  6. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

I have heard ones from astro vans are an upgrade for the earlier jeeps