1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another E47 thread...

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BPK63, Feb 2, 2015.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

E47, noticed last week at times it was very slow then was normal again. Checked the fluid on the weekend seemed a little low so I filled it to specs. Tonight in the cold 16 degrees after work trying to clear the driveway and it's ok then so slow it will barely lift the plow and lights dim to the point battery light comes on. Battery and alt are good been checked this season. Having a real hard time lifting the plow, then 5 minutes later it's working ok again. Any ideas? At least I was able to finish my own driveway.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Solenoid, motor, filters icing/dirty or connections/power cable. Does it work fine at beginning of a driveway then slow down as you plow?

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

how big a battery do you have?...reserve power is important, how fast are you trying to plow? constantly moving plow?

lots of little tips on the site for keeping power up,

4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I just plow my own driveway, not in a hurry so I'm just taking my time. And yes it does seem to work ok at first and then slow down later. Last night after about 10 miutes it would barely lift at all and the lights would really dim. I was about to park the truck and say the hell with it for the night and then noticed it was back to normal and working ok. Battery is the biggest one I could get for the truck only a year old, alternator is charging. This morning 16 degrees out I was cleaning up, and it worked just fine again.

5. Krudop

Krudop Junior Member
    from Ny

My bet is the motor/connection or water in the fluid icing up.

Ok, I need help! Have two pumps both aren't working right, angle problems. It's not the angle Pistons. Pump 1 stays locked to the right with the left piston pressurized. It won't turn left the default setting. I believe the C-valve cartridge is enlarged as the coil is hard to get off.

Pump 2 sometimes angles left before angling right, It's not electrical, I've switched the coils and feeds. My guess is the c valve as pump 1. Also need info on changing the c valve, do u drain the unit first or just pull valve and change with minimal leakage?

6. kimber750

I am guess the motor is on the way out. As it used it is getting hot and loosing power.

Just take the valve out and replace it. Very little fluid will be lost.

7. Krudop

Krudop Junior Member
    from Ny

Thanks just ordered one.

8. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

At 16 degrees out I don't think the motor was hot. Almost seemed like a short when I was trying to lift the lights would just dim like a short. After 5 minutes went back to working normally. Who knows though. Doesn't look like I'm going to find the answer to this one, especially with people hijacking your thread. I guess I can order a new motor easy enough though.

9. kimber750

If possible have your dealer do a load test on the motor. I don't think it is ice because that is not going to go away in 5 minutes of sitting in 16 degree weather. Another thing you can do is go out and operate the plow until it starts to slow down. Then check the motor and wiring to see if anything is getting hot.

10. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

As Kimber750 said I would also bet you have a motor going south on you .

Double check all of your connections , possibly replace the solenoid as high resistance through it can cause the problems you describe.

TOM

11. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a spare solenoid and spare pump in the garage. I guess I'll swap it all out and see what happens and put a new motor in the other pump in the spring. Sounds like solenoid or motor to me too the way the lights dimmed to almost nothing like a dead short.

12. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Well I changed the entire pump out over the weekend and tonight, same thing. Works good for maybe 5 or 10 minutes than almost like a dead short. I did not change the solenoid I guess that's next.

13. kimber750

Solenoid would of been easier to swap. Could still also be bad wires but try the solenoid if you have one. You can also ohm the power wires to check for resistance.

14. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Put a new solenoid in today. Actually the pump was easier just a couple of bolts vs rusted bolts/nuts on the solenoid but I still have a very slow, almost no movement condition now. Funny sometimes it works ok and then I get this problem. I wonder if I just have ice in the lines? I flush it every year but forgot to do it last fall. New solenoid, different pump, same condition.

15. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

check all your electrical connections. i bet you will find a corroded/dirty connection somewhere.

16. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I checked all the connections today when I replaced the solenoid. Nothing is loose or dirty. I guess I'll add a little alcohol and see if that makes any difference, maybe flush everything this weekend. I'm running out of options.

17. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Well, I don't know if adding alcohol will ruin seals or whatever, but I added about 2 ounces roughly, about a week ago, worked the plow good, and it's been running good even in minus number temperatures. This truck is on it's way out anyway, literally rusting away. I may get another winter out of it if I'm lucky before I have to start looking for another.