1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another E-47 Stuck Right Thread

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by troll5501, Dec 18, 2009.

1. troll5501

troll5501 Junior Member

Another E-47 Stuck Left Thread

I have the same problem I've read about in some other threads. Plow raises and lowers fine, angles left and right fine as long as I don't go all the way left. But if I go all the way left, sometimes it gets stuck there.

Unlike the other cases, I found that if I loosen the hydraulic fitting on the fully-extended right angle ram and let some fluid and pressure out (not much, but just until I can move the coupler release ring) then tighten it back up, it will get "unstuck" and angle to the right.

It doesn't seem like a mechanical issue to me, although some of the bolt holes in the plow *are* worn. If I connect the rams together with the hose, I can swing the plow back and forth just fine by hand. I replaced the coupler at the right angle ram, but it didn't make a difference. I haven't yet replaced the female coupler at the pump, but I did replace the male side.

Do these symptoms point to any particular component, such as a valve problem? Other "stuck" threads seem to focus on the C valve or the crossover relief valve. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

No...I think your valves are fine....I would replace the other coupler for a start.

3. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Stops are probably worn on the sector , temporarly place a 1/4" piece of steel , wood , etc against the stop on the right and left side , you can tape it in place to test , try and angle right and left now , i'll bet it dosen't get stuck .

If this cures the problem I would have a small piece of steel welded to the stop on the A frame on both sides.

What actually happens when the stops wear is the cylinder is allowed to compress past the fluid entrance hole and the fluid can't presurize the cylinder to return it the other way.

TOM

4. troll5501

troll5501 Junior Member

I'm planning to replace the other coupler, but I need to pick up a thread adapter. The spare coupler I have is the 15847 pin-type, and the female piece with the release-ring has larger threads and an o-ring and needs an adapter to fit my 1/4" NPT fittings.

In the meantime I think I'll swap the coupler sets to see if the problem moves to the other side, i.e. when angled right. I may try the same with the rams, at least these tests wouldn't cost me anything and may yield some clues.

Tom, I actually did try inserting a 1/4" piece of metal in the stop on the A-frame, and the first time I angled it full left, it got stuck there. So I'm thinking the problem is elsewhere or I need a thicker piece of metal in there.

5. troll5501

troll5501 Junior Member

I found another spare coupler that fits and I replaced the one remaining old one, but no luck. In about ten tries, it got stuck once. It seems more likely to get stuck if I angle it full left, then go out and put some pressure against the blade on the right side (i.e. bump against it a few times), but I still cannot reproduce the problem each time, it's very intermittent.

As before, all I need to do is let some fluid out of the hose that connects from the right angle ram to the PA block, then it will angle back to the right. If this were a mechanical issue with the A-frame, wouldn't it still be stuck after releasing the hose pressure?

6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Which kind of says its a coupler problem.

7. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Usually if it's a coupler issue it won't turn at all. I think you need to read the 3 or 4th post saying to check your bump stops. If they are worn out, it will overextend your arm and stick. Check those.

8. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

where are the bump stops located on the plows? i never new or heard of them before.

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Its been my experiance if the blade moves one way and not the other its almost always a bad coupler. I always change both SETS of couplers. Heres a tip for you while experancing the problem go out and unplug the couplers, IF one of the couplers is hard to uncouple then that is the bad part. And dont forget to change both the male and female ends....Rob