1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Dodge Engine problem :)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ziob34, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

have a 97 dodge with the 318 in it and for a while now when i first start the truck in the morning it will just fall flat on its face if i don't give it any gas. if i start it give it some gas to get it going then slowly let off until it will idle and let it idle for a few minutes it'll run fine no problems, won't stall out. any ideas? just had new fuel pump put into it so thats not it? maybe cat is clogged like previous post and the back pressure is stalling it out until it warms up and the flow gets going through the exhaust?

any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Did they replace the fuel filter/regulator on the top of the tank when the did the fuel pump? Have you had a flow test done on the cat yet? Does the dist cap have any burnt marks or hits, maybe dirt?

3. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

fuel pump filter everything was all one unit just put in part alone was like 500 bucks so thats fine. haven't done a flow test on the cat so thats the suspect i may think as the truck will start up but then it just dies out unless you give it gas an keep it going for a minute. distributor looks good.

4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Check your grounds. Check for broken ground straps. Sounds like what typicly happens when the computer has to learn itself after it's had no power to it. may be a bad ground to the computer.

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'd put money on a weak battery, get it tested or just replace it and your problems will most likely vanish. I've had 3 Dodge trucks do the same thing and a battery has fixed it every time.

6. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Stalls

I agree check Your grounds.You dont say if the Check engine light is on or not.Sounds like a TPS Or IAC.It Could Be a big Vacuum leak too.

7. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

i'll chceck the grounds for the computer as well as change the battery......check engine light is not on passed emissions runs good once it finally "warms up"

8. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

new battery didn't fix the problem still dies out on itself when first starting in the morning and not warmed up or if its been sitting for a while during the day. computer is grounded nicely so its not that.

i'm thinking its the back pressure from the cat when its cold sstart until the flow gets going and it heats up it falls right on its face. any takers?

9. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Had a similar problem on my 2500 hd 6.0, only did it when it was cold, not in the warmer months. It drove me and my mechanic crazy trying to figure it out, turned out to be the plastic intake maifold had warped, causing blow-by on the gaskets and screwing up the air fuel ratio. I'd have to "feather" the gas for 5 mins when it was cold until it could run on its own.

10. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

i have to do the same thing when we start it cold when its sbeen sitting overnight ofr a few hours......only takes about a minute to warm up and then run/idle fine.

how big of a job was it to check to see if that was the problem? easy check at all ?

11. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The only way i know to test for that problem short of removing the intake and inspecting the gaskets is to spray carb cleaner or something like that around the gaskets. If the idle speed changes that means its sucking in the fluid and there is a leak.