1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another disappointment in New Jersey...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NJ Plowman, Jan 6, 2005.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Yet another night waiting in anticipation, getting up at 3:00AM, and again...NO SNOW IN JERSEY ! :cry:

2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

Same here in central pa. the ice line was about 30 miles north of use. Was up a 2, 4, 6 am and just rain.

3. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

well, what did your forecast say for your area? Never rely on state wide forecasts, go to local forecasts.

Sometimes local ones are wrong, but rarely.

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

My local said 2-4. All I got was %!^$@#%$#&@#%@^#&$%#@^%^%$^*!@#%$^!%^*@$%!@^%$&!@%^$^!@%*$^% rain.

Where in god's name is winter!!! :realmad:

5. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I did not even bother getting up to check the weather in the middle of the night. Slept right through it. This sux!

6. Henry

Henry Member

We didn't get much here but I still had to clear a couple lots.

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Times are getting rough here in Jersey, I might have to trade my plows in for a few squeegee's and have my guys stand on a street corner and clean windows! :eek:

Channel 61 Local Weather said 3"-7", but we got nothing but rain! :angry:

8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

It so bad here in Somerville, when I got done with my coke I dumped the ice in the road so i wouldn't forget what it looks like. It going to be in the 50's next week too. It it keep up like this im going to start some landscaping in Febuary.

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you guys really expect snow in NJ?
    Its like once every three or four years that you guys get more then 8" in most spots.

10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Most years we get 8 to 10 plowable storms. In the last 20 years of plowing think the least amount of times I went out plow was 5. On top of that we also get a lot of storms that need to be salted only this year only 1 storm that needed salting and no plowing.

11. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

We got about 2 inches here and lots of ice.

Jeff

12. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

I can not complain. My accounts in Pompton Lakes, Kinnelon and Oak Ridge had 2" plus ice. When I got done with all of them I went down to my accounts in Wayne, NJ and it was as if nothing happened. The good news with this is that tonight there should be ice concerns in my area. So more salting for me. Still not good when most of my commercial aacounts were only wet this morning. Hopefully 2 weeks from now we willl finally get some serious snow. By the sounds of it, most of us did not get anything at all. Time to move my operation to Boston. NOT!

Chris

Hey Jersey plowers, where do you guys go to wash out your spreaders, (preferably a pressure washer or hot steam washer)

Thanks for the feedback.

13. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Lawnboy - Royal car wash on 23 in Wayne. Coin-op power washers.

Who wants to get a caravan from NJ to either the mid-west or New Hampshire/Maine area to go lowball and make some cash??? :rolleyes:

(Just kidding)

14. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

Thanks for the information. They have bays big enough for a mason dump? My spreader is a 3 yard v box. I know right where they are. I assume nobody there will complain about a little salt making a mess?

Chris

15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey Chris,

Good to hear that you made a few bucks. It's about time one of us in Jersey does. :drinkup:

If you need a hose to clean off your equipment, you might try this:
    I plow and salt a few local volly Fire Houses and Ambulance Corps and they let me wash my rigs in their back driveways. The nice part is most of them have both HOT and COLD water from the garden hose. :D

16. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

You can try the wash in Bloomingdale or even the one in your hometown right by H + R Block and the Passic County Roads Yard. I know for sure the one in Bloomingdale as one large bay for bigger trucks.

Jeff

17. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

Thanks Jeff and NJ Plowman. I appreciate your feedback. Yeah finally some money from plowing and salting. Time to go wash out the truck and clean up the equipment. What do you guys do to keep your walk behind calcium spreaders clean/ Dry?

Chris