1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Debate at the shop

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Nov 28, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well we had another debate down at the shop today....

Not dual battery set up, i see that one is going well over here today.

Not brands of trucks

But adding spot lights to electric spreaders.

The names of the employees have been left out haa hee :)

The spreader is a Fisher Pro Flow 2.

Employee number 1 wanted to run a power wire from a switch in the cab.

Employee number 2 wanted to steal 12 volts of the spreaders motor.

what do you guys think? I will voice my thoughts later in the debate.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Run the light from the magneto on the spreader engine, heck you really only need it when the spreaders running anyways.
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We added spot lights to our sanders and are used for backup lights only and were wired into reverse lights with a higher amp fuse. If there not used for backing but for seing in and around sander run a jumper wire to a toggle switch and the light itself as a ground.
  4. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Well, I can't turn down a good debate. :) I would steal 12v from the spreader. Provided that the feed from the cab has adequate gauge wire to handle the additional amps needed by the lights. Which I would assume to be true. And as thelawnguy said "heck you really only need it when the spreaders running anyways"

thelawnguy must have over-looked that they are electric spreaders.
  5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If the spreader is variable speed the light will be dim at low speeds. It may also steal current from the spreader motor, messing up your spread rate. I'd go with a dedicated line for the light, that would give you the benefit of having a work light back there if you needed it. Run a permanent wire and end it with a weatherpak connector so you can unplug it when the spreader is removed.

Lawnguy, unless the engine has a flywheel alternator ther eis no current available for the light, (this being an electric spreader it doesn't even have an engine) If you hooked a light into the magneto circuit, it would provide a ground path and kill the engine anytime you turned the light on.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2001
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

On my smith, I stole power right from the large 2 pole connector that powers the spreader for a work light. And I have 2 lights switched off a relay for reverse lights mounted on the spreader.
    I see no problems tapping off the 12v going to motor unless it has a VSC.
  7. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

As you guys may have seen in my plow/spreader pictures, I added lights to my spreader. I added two flood lights, one on each side. Then I added two LED style "strobes". I ran all the wire for this at once which is a 7 conductor heavy guage wire in a water tight rubber membrane. I uses a trailer style light connector to connect my lights and installed switches in the cab to control the lights independent from each other and the spreader. The floods are on a switch and the LEDs have a switch. I use the flood lights as backup/work/spreader lights and they seem to work great. I figured the switch for them gave me more options, also in the day when spreading you would not necessarily need additional flood lights.

BTW, we missed out on snow last night. Too bad but at least it is close:)
  8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I used to do Employee # 2's option. Then with the help of Alan, last year I switched over to 3 way switches set up so they can either be off, go on while in reverse, or go on any time we want. This worked out great. Both spreaders (one is a Pro Flo 2 like Geoff mentions) are set up with trailer plugs to easily unhook spreader & lights. I still have Alan's detailed instructions saved, so if anybody wants them, PM me.
  9. thelawnguy

Yes, in my haste to respond I overlooked the fact it is an electric spreader. If it were a gas spreader (with battery) you could hook it to the alternator (not magneto) as is done on my simplicity 2-stage blower.

You would need to run lights from the truck, since, as previously stated, the lights intensity would probably vary with spreader speed.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I set mine up on a realy system. I can turn them on with a switch from a keyed 12 volt source or they automatically go on when the truck is put in reverse. I like this because on my dumps the reverse lights get blocked somewhat by the chute. Of course these are all hopper type units. I add an extra plug and mount the lights to the spreaders. All my gas spreaders are wired the same so I can swap them between trucks if I needed to.
  11. GeoffD

My answer was to run a seperate wire from a switch in the cab. The reason being is that the spreaders has VSC and under a low speed the light would be verry dim.

12. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Now you give us all the facts, :) you left out the variable speed control in your first post. If you would have stated that, it really only leaves one good option. Didn't employee #2 realize this?
  13. GeoffD

Employee 2 drives an International 2500, with a double acting body. All his stuff is powered by a central hydro system off the crank shaft.

He doesn't think about the electrical side verry much. However doesn't take 2 seconds for him to add his $ 0.02.

14. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Just goes to show that in haste, it's possible to overlook or fail to consider all the facts. ;)
    I'm sure thelawnguy will back me up on this one.:)
  15. thelawnguy

Hey, you can always count on me...