1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another dang scenerio for ya...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Sep 11, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I know I've done this before but bare with me... im learning more everday!
    There are a few questions in this post. Try to give me answers for as many as possible (I'll number the questions for you).

This scenerio applies to a route of residential houses.
    -You work with a 3" trigger and your clients are aware of this
    -It begins to snow and you start working at 3"
    -It snows 10"

By the time it stop snowing you have cleared your entire route twice and go back to the start to see how the first house looks. The last house of the route has no snow on the driveway because it was Last, duh. But the first house on the route has 2 inches of snow on it. You've already cleared this house twice..........

(1)do you clear it again and keep going through your route until all the houses have clean plowed driveways? Wouldn't the client be pissed if it just snowed 10" and they still have 2" of snow on their drive way!?

ORRRRRRRRRRRR

(2)is this irrelevant because the salt from the prior two plows should have melt the additional snowfall?
    (3) Do you salt the drive/walks each time you plow the house during a storm? If you're charging incrementally for plowing (according to the snow depth), would you loose money on salting their house 2 or 3 times during a storm?

2. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

what we do is if we see that it is goin to keep coming down hard we chill for a couple hours then head out, might save a couple trips , thats just for our driveways,also we had these costomers for 15-20 years so they wont get upset, but for our commercial lots we head out soon as there is a 2'' trigger.

hope this helps

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

ahhhhhhh yes
    didn't think about taking a break in between... that could save a
    lot of dough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I only do commercial accounts, plus all but one are on contract.

I make sure they're all plowed at least once before they open, if it's still snowing.

Then I plow as needed. If it stops snowing and the property only has 1/2" of snow on the ground, it still gets cleared off again, "curb to curb".

Since usually if it's snowing that much, 10", you're probably just keep the driving lanes passable, you'll probably be heading back to touch up all the corners and what-nots anyways.

I too have it in my contract that if it's snowing 1.5"+ / hour, that the trucks are pulled off the roads. I explain to my customers that it's too dangerous to be plowing. What they don't know is I keep plowing. This way it gives me a little wiggle room to work on keeping everything plowed.

In a 10" snowstorm, unless it's REAL wet snow and REAL warm, the salt isn't going to melt all the snow fast enough inbetween anyways.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

if its going to snow 10 inches, I go out at 2", 5" and then again at 8 and another time at 10. and bill them each push.

6. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

What's interesting about your scenerio is that you might have 2 different answers depending on whether you had fixed price contracts or per push contracts. Seems to me that either way if the trigger is 3" and you only have 2" you probably wouldn't plow again, but if you were actually gonna get paid for it you might. My experience has been that residential customers aren't that fussy meaning that they dont want you to plow 2" if contract is 3" especially if they have to pay for it.

7. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

You can always keep a contact list along with your log book & call them, that way it's up to them, & Less liability for you!

~Matt

8. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I start at the trigger and just keep plowing. The seasonal customers have paid for the service and the per push customers get billed in every time I drop the blade.