1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Damage Question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Todd, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

At one of the apartment complexes we do, a carport was damaged by a moving van back in the beginning of the winter. It took out a chunk of the roof and bent three support posts. They had the posts straightened and temporarily fixed so they would be stable until spring when they could cement in three new posts and permanently fix them. That's the set-up...

last week, I sent one of my guys out to scrape up some slush during the day. He does not normally plow this account and is not familiar with the place. Never the less, he backed into one of the posts that had been damaged and re-damaged it. I know, because of the angle, he could not have hit it too hard, but he bent the thing up pretty good. He must have panicked and took off. A resident and one of the maintenance guys saw him do it and I got a call from the manager. He didn't deny doing it when I asked him, but I know he would not have told me if I hadn't have asked.

We have had a good relationship with this customer for a couple of years now and we have done work for the manager when she was at a different property. Furthermore, I am really hoping to get this place for lawn care this coming season (it would mean a lot to the business).

Here's the issue, I know that they are going to permanently repair the post in question along with the other damaged ones in the spring. The maintenance guy told me that they already have the new posts, and the contractor lined up to make the repairs. That in mind, I am willing to either straighten the post out myself and call it good (wrap a tow strap around it and hook the other end to my truck and yank it straight), or pay for someone to temporarily fix it. I feel that this is as far as my responsibility lies.

I am going to talk with them further about it on Monday and I'm not sure how far they will push, I'm just wondering how firmly I should stand my ground. Any comments will be appreciated.

2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

let your insurance take care of it. if your driver hit a temp. post that is what you are responsible for fixing or replacing. have a third party take care of it and have ins. pay it.

i would think the manager might get upset with the tow strap idea, and it could lead to problems in the future ie. "we found more damage from when you tried to straighten the post. "

3. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I second that, let your insurance take care of it. They will decide how far they will go to fix it under the circumstances. Who knows, maybe it will be no more expensive to fix it permanently and your insurance will do that. The property owner may make out on the deal and be happy about that. Will probably win you a few points too.

4. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Letting our insurance handle it was my fist tought too, but my concern is this: will my premiums go up??? This is our first year as a corporation and with a business insurance policy. My agent said that we will have an insurance audit at least once a year and the premium will be adjusted acordingly. As it is, we pay a lot for it now. I was hoping that after a period of time, if we had no claims, it would go down some. I understand and accept that proper insurance is a cost of doing business, but I thought that something minor like this could be handled without getting the insurance company invoved and it would save us some dough in the long run...

Other thoughts???:confused:

5. snowflake

snowflake Member

another thing you could do is talk to them on what it would cost to get the temp repair again mite be better to fund it out of your pocket then gettin insurane co involved if you are thinkin rates are goin up. or fix it yourself. best is talk to manager first over a cup of coffee. abd take it from there.

6. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I'm in the same boat insurace wise. I would talk to them and do everything I possibly could before I turned it into my insurance company. If it raises your insurance 300/ yr and it doesnt come down for 5 years which is the loss history my agent says they want now that's $1500. I can fix just about any kind of post that holds a car port for way less then that.
    Casey

7. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I know I didn't get a whole lot of response on this one (thanks to those who did respond), but here is an update.

The Apt manager agreed to let us attempt to fix the post temporarily at our expense until they could fix it permanently from the original damage that was not our fault.

Well after talking it to death, :rolleyes: we set out, determined to beat, pound, or pull the thing as straight as possible and then affix a couple of support braces to the thing. When we arrived, we found that the permanent repairs had been completed:eek: . I quickly got on the phone to the manager and she said that her maintanance guys just went and got ahold of the contractor that was going to do the repairs and had him fix it - and we are off the hook. It's all good, everyone's happy, we can get on with our lives.:waving:

8. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Nice! Now day's, people are looking to get anything that they can reguardless of the situation.
    It is great that they decided to repair the supports sooner and get things fixed permanently. (That is something that I would have done if I was in their position). Those supports being hit a second time would be a BIG TIME sore spot in my gut from the beginning if it were my complex.
    I would definitly stay on top of that account. Make sure that they are not expecting anything from you and that you stay on very good terms with them. Keep them happy. Don't give them any reasons to come back at you for anything.
    Besides that, it's good that you are off of the hook. It's nice how some things work out unexpectedly. Jake.

9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

pay for one new post or pay for someone to come in and fix the damaged one.don't use your insurance for something that small.once when i was plowing for the state i took out 2 or 3 dozen mail boxes in a row from the snow hitting them.the windrow was going 30 to 40 feet away from the truck.the dot has insurance and so did i,but they replaced them no insurance involed in that.i backed into a car once that was in my blind spot with the l9000.just a bumper needed to be replaced.i paid that out of my pocket.now if you almost total a car or a building.thats where the insurance comes in.really anything over $400 i get the insurance company to take care of it.