1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another CJ question - tranny?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Detroitdan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Hey another question- I'm thinking about making an offer on an 84 CJ7, body,frame and floors good, 258 with a stick. Ad says "tranny problems". No idea if it's clutch, or actual internal trans problems, really no way of finding out, either. If I had to do a clutch that's pretty straight forward, but if it needed a tranny, what do I need to look for? I mean, what years and models will work? I don't even know if it's a 4 speed or 5, forgot to look. Any common trans problems it could be?
    thanks

2. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

3. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I had an 84 with the 258 and a T5 manual... Seemed ok but I've heard its not a very durable transmission.

4. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

5. RH31379

RH31379 Member

I believe the 84 had either the sr4 or t4 or t5 they were decent transmissions for normal driveing but not super strong. but that doesn't mean you cant make them last. I had a 83 that came with the 4spd. just so happened i was able to pick up the t176 which is known to be one of the better tranny's put in a cj. adapting anything to the 258 has probably been done and fairly easy. I used a new bell housing which the one for the t176 4 spd and t90 3spd are the same then just get teh right clutch parts and driveshafts. the 4spd i believe mates to a dana 300 tcase which is also one of the better ones. I never actually plowed with this setup the jeep turned out to nice to plow qith but i have used the t90 3spd and dana 20 tcase. i liked teh 3spd for eas of forward reverse being up and down instead of a normal shift pattern. little quicker to shift.