1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Boss vs Fisher thread

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sweetland, Oct 22, 2011.

1. sweetland

sweetland Junior Member

Hello everyone, I have used fisher plows for a while and always loved them. I have been using a fisher xblade for the past few years but i am going to switch over to a v plow but at this point i have experienced different mechanical issues with fisher as well as heard a lot of bad things about their warranty and etc.

My question is should i go with the Fisher XV or should i go with the Boss VXT? It will be used for driveways and parking lots. The dealer sells both brands and told me that since i lifted my silverado 2.5 inches in the front i cant really use fisher since it wont line up with the ground right so does anyone had experience with this?
  2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Use search, it'll help a lot.
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I have no problems with my fisher 8 foot after putting in torsion keys and 285s on my truck.
  4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Boss mounts will let you move your frame to adjust for changing you truck height and the plows are awsome.
    I won't own anything but a Boss, they are solid and simple.
  5. sweetland

sweetland Junior Member

It's going on an 08 Silverado 2500hd with 2.5 level in the front and 285 tires. They said it won't sit level in V or Scoop. I've done a lot of research but a lot is biased so I needed real owners experience. They quoted me 4800 for the boss and 5700 for the Fisher
  6. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I went from a company that ran all Fisher's SS Xtreme V to all BOSS V and V-XT. My first thought on the BOSS was "Great. No chain lift. What am I going to do when the pump fails?" After 3 years with the BOSS I've never had a pump fail, and I had 2 fail when I was running a Fisher. The BOSS V-XT is by far my favorite plow. The flared wings are awesome and the only real failures we've had are from operator error. I vote BOSS.
  7. sweetland

sweetland Junior Member

How does the full blade trip effect you vs the trip edge with the fisher? How about clean scrapes with the boss? I know with the fisher X we would do one pass and it was down to pavement
  8. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

For me personally, I don't mind the full blade trip. I know my route like the back of my hand and know exactly where all the uneven surfaces is and all the hidden objects are and make sure to not smack them. As far as the scrape, that's not a big factor for us. All of our accounts are on zero tolerance contracts and are getting salted no matter what. Everyone like something different and for our company, BOSS works the best for us. We need reliability more than anything.
  9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You honestly can't go wrong with eather Plow......I have run Both and Both perform Very well.....

I would look at Dealer support.......Thumbs Up

You will get many opinions on here ranging from.....I would buy a Boss because it looks Cool on my Truck....To, Fisher is the " Cats Meow".....Do your research and talk to the dealers that sell and Service these Plows.....:salute:

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I have owned the boss v plow and currently own a western mvp (similar to the fisher) Both are good plows and both have things I liked and disliked. One of the things I like about about the xt is I have a job that has a long run about a 1/4 mile and I push the snow all to one side I think the xt would throw the snow farther with the raised wings. The other thing I like is the boss doesn't stick as fare forward on the truck? ( more room in the garage when hooked up. based on the western not sure how the fisher is) but I like the western ultra mount leaves very little on the truck when removed and the ultra mount pivots on un even ground.
  11. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I have been a devote Fisher user for twenty years and simply would not change. I run all straight stainless xblades and they are increadable. tried v plow in past was not impressed personally but could see obviously why so many people use them. Warranty on anything in life is your relationship with the people you purchased goods from and a paper trail not more complicated than that. When I have had a break down and can't get help from a dealer I call fisher direct and get one of their engineers on the phone with out delay. So again to each there own Fisher has always helped me and my business.
  12. sweetland

sweetland Junior Member

Can anyone comment on which one scrapes better? Meaning in one pass which plow will get closer to pavement?
  13. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

I have no problem with one pass plowing with my Boss. Boss makes a very solid/heavy built and very reliable plow. Just make sure you order it with the Smartlock cylinders and enjoy. God bless.
  14. sweetland

sweetland Junior Member

Hate to beat a dead horse with this thread but its a very hard choice for me. the fact that the Boss has hydro lift vs fishers chains does the boss still have enough travel to handle bumps well?
  15. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

This will have far more to do with weather conditions and the pavement treatments and condition then the plow

they both should scrape pretty close to the same

Boss hands down, think the rest of the package is far superior and will give you longevity without a question
  16. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

your not beating a dead horse it's a major purchase. The angle of attack on my xblades is that of a state highway truck meaning it scrapes the icy situations with ease. Another added benefit is back dragging again given the angle of the blade it scrapes to pavement. I have nothing good or bad to say in regards to boss never run one. Fisher plant is based in rockland Maine so i like to keep my dollars in New England. If I was in the Midwest probably would be a Boss or Meyers guy. Buck up for the stainless steel model and you will never need a can of paint again, you wash them apply some never dull and they look new year in and year out. Support New England!
  17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

What he said about the attack angle is a big factor in how it will scrape. Also weight will help as well.

The Boss is a super beefy unit, I think overall its built better than the Fisher - Center pin design on the Fisher is horrible plain and simple. The Fisher's hydraulics are very fast and uses double acting cylinders - good because it will pull the wings back while in snow, bad because it works the motor/pump twice as much as the Boss. The boss uses springs to pull the wings back - good is less work for the pump, bad is if you back drag and try to pull the wings back to Vee with snow behind them they won't move, unless you have smart locks they will fold forward to scoop. Then there's the "dumb" IMO argument about getting stuck and using the wings to push you out - Don't really see that being a huge factor but thats just me.
  18. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have one of each. I had the boss on my pickup but after lifting it I couldnt drop the mount low enough. The X Vee mounts up fine using the lowest holes on the subframe. Boss is 5 years old never been back to the dealer, the fisher is 2 years old been back 3 times and its in my garage leaking fluid out of the manifold right now. Hands down the fisher scrapes way better then the boss. Packed down snow that the boss would ride over the fisher will scrape to bare pavement. Signing the papers on Monday for another F350 with an X vee just because it scrapes so well and saves on salt.