1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another blizzard

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by tls22, Dec 30, 2010.

1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Wow was this the worse blizzard i have ever seen. We must have gotten around 24-27 inches of snow in the lots i did. I have never seen it snow, drift, and whip like that before. Plus keep in mind the forecast went from 0-20 in a 48 hr period. Most rd crews found out about this storm xmass night, so most of them where caught with there pants down. Alot of private guys took it off the chin this storm also, which is sad to see. On our end we did alright, finished plowing today around 12pm. I dont know how many hrs i spent in my truck....but i was plowing for 48hrs straight to start the week.

The v plow is awesome...i love it. I dont know why i did not buy it 3 years earlier. I pretty much plowed the whole storm in scoop...its amazing how much time this plow saves you. I also used v alot, as there was 4-5ft drifts in driveways, never thought i would use v at all in this state. The first two nights after the storm i ended up helping my old boss after m,y stuff was done for the day, man did my xv and his xls work great together. We moved alot of snow, he was feeding me while i stacked. I was very impressed with the xls also, fisher def makes a great product. There is a pic i sent ek via text of his ford and xls in front of me...might be hard to see. I love the stacking ability of the fisher, its as if a loader did it. The 4 inch bumps stops are perfect. My only small complaints is the xv sticker is coming off(wich i plan on sending a pic to fisher) and the first hours of plowing my left wing was drifting back out of scoop....talk to a few guys and most of them said it was prob air in the system...which it prob was, as i did not have the problem after that. The learning curve was not bad at all with the V. Perhaps that has to do alot with me watching BNC and strokers snow plowing vids alot....the only thing i think i need practice with is postions in driveways that work best......but for the amount of snow its saved me a ton of time.

The only problems we had this storm was me getting stuck 2 inches away from a concrete mailbox.......i try to V up hill(dumb idea) thankgod my father had the kubota as he pulled me to the right while i back-up slowly....got out missing the mailbox by 4 inches...thankgod he was there. And on our last job of the storm my fathers brake line broke on the gmc, which prob had more to do with corrosion thent he actual storm. I know that year gmc had problems with that. We finished up our 2 commercials and driveways the first two days of the storm, and just took driveway calls for days...so many people called.....but i know time for pics....also i would not wish this storm on anyone, you dont want to plow in a storm like this

Dropping my fathers loader off at 730am...keep in mine no snow on the ground
    [​IMG]

just starting to snow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

first push ever with my new xv
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

amazing how quick a 8.5 can get rid of 2 inches of snow
    [​IMG]

3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

Now the real show starts
    [​IMG]

Driving sucked...this pic does not do it justice on how bad it was
    [​IMG]

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

first real stack
    [​IMG]

you can see how hard it was snowing...seemed like you would make a pass...and there would be .25 on ur pass back...you had to hang ur head out the window to see...as there was not looking back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Looking good Timmy. :drinkup:

Glad you made it through it OK.

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

i love this pic for some reason....the snow finally stop..lol

[​IMG]

i dont see many windrows
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

sidewalk crew is good...this guys work there ass off

[​IMG]

thanks for parking there

[​IMG]

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

driveways
    [​IMG]

hight of piles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

Just to break into driveways you had to move a crazy amount of snow..as the dpw made just one pass down the rd the 2nd day after the storm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

Yep there is a cricle driveway under there....:eek: that we do

[​IMG]

My backyard
    [​IMG]

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Loaders working
    [​IMG]

driveway rig
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Awesome job Tim. Nice to see you doing a great job. I should have drivin over the 50 miles and started knocking on doors. I probably could have made some mad payup. Like you said and I pointed out in another thread, you dont want storms like that. Just too much. Pics look great as usual.

13. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

resting
    [​IMG]

Me lol

[​IMG]

14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks crete...it was wild

15. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

Great pictures. We were supposed to get hit pretty hard here in RI but didnt see much more than a foot.

16. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

thanks man...yeah we where pretty much the sweet spot or unlucky spot...

17. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

It was an intense storm, I was driving down the road trying to see mailboxes, telephone poles, anything to keep pointed in the right direction. Had to stop several times with total whiteout conditions. You guys got it worse. NJ, snow capital of the east coastussmileyflag:drinkup:

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Eggsellent pics Tim. :salute:

I'm with you on not wanting to plow that much at once. Talk about strain on the truck! :eek:
    Work looks good. A storm like that would kill us at the one church we do where all the snow has to be put in one spot only.
    Is that a gas powered shovel you're using?

19. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Lol....yeah it seems in jersey its 20 or nada...the 3-6 storms are non exsitant...glad you made out good...it was a very hard storm..have a happy new year
    Thankyou so much reaper...and for the help you have given me during the years....you had a post in the nj forum during the storm that pretty much hit all the points to a T. You def have been doing this a long time, and have alot to offer to young plowers like me..have a happy new year bud. Lol about the shovel..thats a 20 dollar special at home depot..

20. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a Heck of a storm Tim! Seems like you guys did good though. we got nothing but a few flurries, I was ready to drive out there. That one picture where the 2 brown garage doors are did you have to dig out that door? I ran into a similar problm last year not that bad though and ended up used the snowblow to clean it out.