1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Bidding Horror Story

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by davewh, Oct 28, 2008.

1. davewh

davewh Member

Ok heres the scoop. I quoted 4 properties 3 with parking for aproximatley 8 cars and walkways those I quoted 205.00 per month and 1 residential with a driveway around 6 cars long I quoted 105.00 per month. for a total monthly billing of 715.00 of unlimited snow plows with a trigger of 2".
    Got underbid 450.00 for all properties for the entire season.

I'm starting to rethink my plans and I havent even got out of the gate.:angry:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just leave it behind you. If you got every job you'd be as rich as JD!

3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

What was the other guys seasonal price compared to your monthly price? Your residential drive would run around $525 based on your monthly pricing. A little high for my area. On the other hand if you are doing all 3 parking lots for a total of $205 a month, that's pretty low.

4. davewh

davewh Member

Hi seasonal was 200.00 below my monthly.

5. snowplower82

snowplower82 Junior Member

let him work at those prices. He will piss them off and probally be out of buisness next year and there
    is a good chance you will get them back next year for your price and the owner well think your great:waving:

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

That residential goes for $270.00 around here, unlimited passes, 2 inch trigger.
    Your 8 car parking with walkways goes around $1400.00 unlimited passes, 2 inch trigger.
    Go figure

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Or dead broke.

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

You need to know what your market rate is in order to be competitive or start bidding lots more.
    I'm bidding $20-40K almost every day. Signed contracts coming in at $10-15K daily most with chqs for full payment, all seasonal with cap, none per push. GL

9. davewh

davewh Member

Wow thats great congratulations I hope you get them all.

10. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Well that's my point, no one "gets" everything they bid ( if I did I'd need double the equipment ), so bid as much as you can, price it well and wait for snow. Easier to turn work away or hire/buy extra equipment than it is to find contracts in say dec. 'cause 2 sites didn't renew. My $0.02.