1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another battery jumping question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by grandview, Feb 18, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I usually jump battery directly to each other. Wife has an acadia the battery is under the floor. If I had to use it to jump another car where do you hook up the negative cable on hers

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

There's most likely a grounding post. Check the owners manual.

3. grandview

There is a positive post

4. tmjlc

tmjlc Junior Member

Look around for a ground strap closest to the engine probably best or just any clean piece of metal will most likely work especially on a newer vehicle were all the grounds are clean and everything's fairly well grounded

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

There should be jumping terminals under the hood for the vehicle. My wife's volvo has them. I usually just go right to the battery though (in rear trunk under floor) as it jumps better. Although, now that I have good cables, the under the hood might work.

6. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

[​IMG]

Shouldn't be going terminal to terminal when jumping to begin with. Any vehicle with a remote (hidden) mounted battery will have a positive lug under the hood for jumping. For your negative lead, just grab any bare metal you find, preferably somewhere on the block.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Crap, been doing it wrong for 30+ years.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

1& 2 are terminal to terminal.....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  9. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

10. jpell

jpell Senior Member

11. xgiovannix12

I was trying to find 2 chicks doing this but this is all I found :dizzy:

12. jpell

jpell Senior Member

Ha, I guess you didn't find what you wanted.

13. xgiovannix12

no I did not :( thats all I had to work with

14. jpell

jpell Senior Member

Well you made the best of what you found, and then you shared it with all of us

15. xgiovannix12

its ok im sure gv is still going to try it :rolleyes:

16. grandview

Guess I found my answer?

17. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've never been able to jump a battery using the proper method of grounding to metal. Can only jump them if I connect directly to the posts of both batteries.

18. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Grounding to bare metal is a 2 part thing.

1- Batteries give off flammable hydrogen gas. By connecting the last clamp to a metallic surface away from the battery, you are less likely to ignite that gas.

2- When you're trying to jump start a car, charging the battery helps (which this will still do), but you want the most juice you can get to the starter; With the starter grounded to the block, you are giving current the best path possible.

I also have had issues with grounding to bare metal. Most the time I have to work the teeth slightly into the metal to get past the top layer of corrosion.

The main reason this doesn't work for some people is they are using too small a gauge jumper. It doesn't pass enough current to really turn the starter, so all you can do is help top off the stalled cars battery first, then provide a little extra push when they bump the starter.

19. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have see 2 batteries explode. One was in a covered floor scrubber, made a mess. The other was a guy jumping a car at a Standard Station I worked at, he got a nice acid bath. Luckily he was wearing glasses.

"1- Batteries give off flammable hydrogen gas. By connecting the last clamp to a metallic surface away from the battery, you are less likely to ignite that gas."

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Crap, I never pay attention to what sequence I hook them up in either.

I better take a class.