1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another angle piston

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Busted another piston this morning. It appears that the shaft came right out of the body of the cylinder, then hung up on the seal. Almost looks like if the seal weren't ruined you could put it back together.

So what could have made this happen? It appears to have over-extended. Both ends are still bolted to the plow and frame, the bolts are a little sloppy but they're fairly new, I don't see how that little amount of slop could account for it overextending. Could it have had air in it, maybe allowed the other piston to slam shut too fast? I did have to add about a quart of fluid yesterday.

Last time a bolt broke, the cylinder dropped down and hung up on the edge of the back of the plow and it tore the cylinder open. The other one I replaced after it blew out a seal or fitting or something, I forget.

This is getting expensive. I am very hard on my equipment, I have a bunch of off-road stuff I plow, but when this went I was barely doing anything, certainly wasn't hitting a banking hard. Just had some work done on it, I'm wondering if when they moved it with the forklift maybe they picked it wrong or something, and stressed it? No way of knowing now.

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

How are blizzards set up as far as the main pivot point for the plow angling? If like a Western, when that hole gets hogged out, the rams can overextend. BTDT.

3. Detroitdan

interesting, I'll have to look at that. Didn't know that could be a factor. I did notice that the welding shop threw a bead around the top where the pivot bolt head is, so it should be a little less sloppy than it was.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

When mine did it, it tore up metal stop rings and seals and sent the bits through the system. You may want to check any filters/screens and do a good flush if you find internals were damaged. Again not familiar with blizzards so ignore what does not apply.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Both angle cylinders on my year old 8611 came apart this season. Piston unscrewed from the rod end and pulled apart.Threads were ruined. I was able to save one by welding the piston on and putting on new seals. The other one was not savable because we couldnt get the piston out of the bottom of the tube. Im not sure what caused this , but I think Blizzard should NOT be using the cylinders as the angle stops.

6. Detroitdan

I was thinking along those lines, first I thought maybe some short chains for stops, but I'd rip them out. I like the stops idea better. Maybe something welded in the right place to stop it just before piston damage can occur. Or maybe some of the old jounce bumpstops we removed when we installed our Timbrens.

7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Dan think solid steel, look at Jerre's website.

8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I have Jerre's NUTS on my plow, and I'm not assamed to say it!

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Jerre should call it the T Bag mod:D

10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I also have the Erie mods on my 8611lp

11. Detroitdan

Going to do the T-bag mod, soon as I can get hold of the other welder in town.

12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Make sure to put any stops on about 1/2" short of max travel with new cyls and pins and the center bolt loose when you do it. Don't forget to tighten up the center bolt when done.

J

P.S. You can T bag all you want I don't have time for Q's with my Jack Daniels when I get a break.

13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

And put stops on the bottom A frame as well as the top.