1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another air shock and rear ballast question?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Curro, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Curro

Curro Member

Did a search on the forum but still a little confused. What air shocks are you TJ guys running on a stock TJ? Would like to pick some up this weekend but not sure which ones to get. Also, what are you guys doing for counter weight or ballast (not sure if that is the proper terminology)? I will be plowing with a 7'6" Snoway MT on a Wrangler TJ. I am fairly handy and can fab up things if necessary but just looking for some ideas..

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a #400 bumper that plugs into my receiver hitch ( with chains to the frame)

Shocks are Front MA 763 (ither Gabriel or Monroe)

3. Curro

Curro Member

Do you by any chance have the P/N for the Gabriel shocks? I assume the MA763 are the Monroe shocks. Also a 400 # bumper :eek:..would sure like to see a pic of that.

4. theplowmeister

from MA

any place that sells gabriel can cross the number over. picks are some ware on plowsite.

5. Curro

Curro Member

Hey thanks, found a pair of Gabriels at Autozone website for 64 bucks! Are you also running air shocks in the rear?

6. theplowmeister

from MA

on one stock jeep I run airshocks on the jeep with a 4 1/2 lift I dont.

7. roundel90

roundel90 Junior Member

Front Air Shocks

I have a '98 TJ and chose to put Monroe MA763s on the front. One thing I came across, as I had read else where , is that the air valve on the shock body was inaccessible because of the shock mount configuration. I decided to cut the bottom mount off with a sawzall, and re-weld them back on 45 degrees different. This allowed full unobstructed access to the valve.

I have had them on for 3 months now, they support the weight of my Meyer ST78 very well, they haven't leaked a pound. I will caution you that if you choose to cut and weld, it will obviously void any warranty, and you must go slow with the welding as the rubber sleeve will have a tendency to ignite. My next step will be to add an on-board compressor to vary the pressure from the cab when I take the plow on and off.

I have a custom mount that I built in my shop, I hope to get pics up soon as I just discovered this site.

Be careful when you plow with your Jeep, make sure you have support bars distributing the force further back on the frame or you will run the risk of tweaking or bending your Jeep.

Just my 2 cents!

8. Premierplowing

Premierplowing Member

Ive just put on a 7.5ft snoway on my 97 tj this season and its quite a bit heavier than the 6.5 ft that was on the jeep last year. I've got the monroe air shocks installed in the front as well. What is a safe pressure to run the shocks at to level out the front of the jeep?

Thanks

9. theplowmeister

from MA

This is not rocket science

My shocks have a MAX PSI of 200 I dont know the max air for your shocks, just dont go over that pressure.

take the plow off measure the bumper height.

put the plow on

add air till you get the same bumper height.
    that is how much pressure you need to level out the jeep with your plow.

done. the hard part is trying to remember what that pressure is.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. Curro

Curro Member

How do these jeeps handle on road without the plow on? This is my daily driver and was just curious as to how it will handle with the air shocks being only in the front.

11. Premierplowing

Premierplowing Member

They tend to get a little light in the rear with the extra weight in the front and the rear can get sketchy when driving in the snow. Just throw 4/5 bags of salt in the back and your good....OR you can go full on like Plowmeisters rig with a 400# lead bumper attachment

12. Curro

Curro Member

Hey thanks for the response. How does the jeep handle WITHOUT the plow on while doing normal driving. Never had air shocks before..

13. bschurr

bschurr Member

Without the plow just reduce the air pressure in the front shocks. I installed mine about a month ago and have been driving around without the plow attached at 40PSI and it is a firm ride but not terroble - in fact, I like it better than my former stcok shocks. IIRC the manual indicated to not run the air shocks below 10PSI (which I am sure would be fine as a DD).

14. Curro

Curro Member

Excellent, thanks for the input..

15. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Im gonna have to look into this for my tj now that I have a western. Just have to figure out the size since I have a 3" lift.