1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another AG tractor Question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BDEMOTT, Feb 10, 2011.

1. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

I have been in the market for a AG tractor around the 100hp mark for a group of lots that we currently do. I will be buying used. My main question on the matter is how many hours is to many. (It will be parked all summer long). For instance i wont buy a truck that has more than 50k, what is that in comparison to a hour on a tractor. and i know what the previouse use was plays a bigger toll than hours but realistically i dont have aclue as to when its to many.

2. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

If the tractor is strictly maintained and not abused its a 8,000 to 11,000 hr machine in most cases. I would look for no more than 3k on it though.

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Well I have always figured a diesel truck is about shot at 250k miles. A mid size farm tractor is getting pretty tired at 10k hours.
    I have only bought 2 tractors with over 5k hours and won't do it again. I like to stay under 3k.
    Robert

4. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

Thanks guys i appreciate your help. I will let you know how my search goes!

5. rlong97150

rlong97150 Junior Member

I am sure its area dependent but used ag tractors here bring a premium. If its got less than a thousand hours on it, you are almost better off buying new. In 2008, it was cheaper for me to buy a brand new DX45 tractor from my local dealer than it was to buy a 500 hr machine used. Now that I am upgrading machines, the DX is going to bring within 2-3k of what I paid for it and that is after I had use of it for 3 years and put a couple hundred hours on it. Of course, mine is shedded and doesnt look any different than the day I drove it off the lot.

That said, I wouldnt be afraid of a 1500 - 2500 hour machine. I would probably look for one without a loader and add that after the purchase if that is a feature you want. Seems like folks beat the crap out of tractors with loaders.

Thanks

Bob

6. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

Another quick question. What do I have to do in NY to be able to drive it on the road from site to site?

7. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I will add this, we have a tractor with 9k on it has not been touched except normal maintenance items and a cab wire harness.

8. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Its always great if it was serviced at a dealership and you can see all the maintenance and repair records. A 8000 hour machine dont mean that all components are that old. However seeing that all used prices are pretty well set in stone it can work to y our advantage when something for 12000 has had 6000 dollars worth of work done on it,. so with the prices rigged by the dealers this can work to your advantage