1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another 2wd question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am sure this has been asked, but I've searched for over an hour without any findings. I am looking for a truck for my sidewalk guy this winter and came across a 96 F250 2wd, at a good price. I know it will work for a sidewalk crew (i will add a pallet of ice melt in the back) but I got to thinking, I have a plow setup that would work on this truck.

I have quite a few smaller places (very short pushes) and just wondered if anyone else has tried a 2wd pickup, if so did it work or not? I have a nice little route of small places that pays pretty good, and if this would work out I would pursue more of them. I don't have a ton of walks for this guy to do, so it would be a good fit.

Now let me add all the lots are on flat ground, every lot it would be used on gets pushed at 1", and I would add new aggressive tires all around. I know it would be useless in deep or wet snow, but our average snowfall is only a few inches.

I know a big truck will do fine as long as you have enough weight, but I don't know how well a 3/4 ton truck would do.

Any insight is great. Thanks Bossman

2. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

2wd

I have a K2500 with a blizzard 810. I run about 2000lbs worth of rock salt and ice melt in the bed. I run 238/85 BFGs. I only had to use my 4 wheel drive a couple of times last season. That truck should work 95% of the time for you. It just sucks when you find out when you need the 4 wheel drive. But if you are available to make a quick trip to pull him out I would say go for it.

3. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

got a 05 f250 2wd running around on a 6 acre property loaded the back with a pallet of bricks strapped in. only prob is the plow bracket hangs real low so that truck stays at the site. i think he only got stuck like 10x the whole season not bad for a truck that sat around all winter and did nothing.

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

You should be fine with a full pallet in the back, 2wd do hang lower in the front end but can be jacked up, i would even put a pallet and a half in the back with the half in front

5. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

add a locking differential (not a limited slip) and it'll work fine.

6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well that's what I wanted to hear! It's not like this truck would be out all by itself, it will work in an area where we have about 25 small to medium accounts all within a couple miles of each other, so if we had to pull him out it wouldn't be a big deal.

I plow in 2wd now and only use 4wd when I have to. I was trying to remember how often I needed 4wd and it seemed like not very often, so I think I will give it a try. Worse caes senerio, it won't plow but I will still have a sidewalk truck.

Thanks Bossman

7. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

I have that same truck. Put a flat bed with a v-box on the back. Replaced the front springs with cargo coils from napa...the heavy duty ones The truck moves a half inch when I lift the 8' western with a 3/4" cutting edge. I usually run about two ton of salt for weight. It will get a little squirrely with no weight, but if you know how to plow snow it should not be a problem. Just don't push all the way up to the top of the pile, not only is it bad for the tranny but it is easy to get hung up and hard to get out sometimes. Plowed/salted with that truck all winter last season and never got stuck. Little hills are slow, big open lots are the best, but don't try to back drag a loading dock unless you have weight. As far as driving down the road it is better to have the whole truck smushed down with weight in the back and on the front, then to just have 2 ton in the back. A good way to get an employee and a truck in the ditch.

napa online http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=NCP2775388_0162313180&An=599001+101996+50028+2028028