1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anone Photos of a 3500 Dually Dura /Plow?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Lawn Care Plus, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

I am about to get my 07 CLassic GMC 3500 Dually Duramx set for winter. I am pretty much getting the Western MVP Pro 8.5'.

The backrack with center light, and two radio antenna's, one on each side, for two radios.

I have a snowex 1075 pivot pro for the hitch reciever.

Anyone with photos of a similar set up?

Tim

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Please get pics of that :) i want to see how you have your antenna setup on your backrack. Sounds pretty sweet!

3. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I know it is not a dually ( Chevy S-10) But this is how i have mine set up. I have 2 antenna's one on each side of the back rack. 2 cables go in to the truck and i have a " T " fitting on the radio that takes the 2 cables. It works great. Very clear and it can go a longer distance. Here is the link. ( scroll down toward the bottom of the first page) Rich

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=46987

4. mcwlandscaping

That's awesome....what kind of radio do you have? where can you get the t fitting? also, how do you tune your antennas? ive been told how to do it, have done it, but am not sure how effective it really is? and is the two antennas just for added signal strength of drawing the signal through two antennas vs. just one? Thanks in advance for any answers.....my friends and i are all really getting into the CB radios and a lot more friends are getting involved

thanks
    -mike-

5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

might want to think about a 9 or 9.5 blade.

My dually measures 8' even to the outside of the rear wheels,when you angle the blade you may be driving in the snow.Im going to get at least a 9.5 V or a 9' straight.

At 8.5 that only leaves 2.5" past the duals when its straight.

6. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

You can get the t's from any truckstop or radioshack,to tune it you will need a standing wave meter to find the swr,the lower the # the better.

Mounting 2 whips to close to each other can be worse than one antenna.They are supposed to be a certian distance appart.Most antennas will have the specs on the packages as to how they should be mounted and tuned.

For a nice 40 channel cb you cant go wrong with a cobra 29LTD Classic.
    You can crank the modulation up on them and talk anywhere.You can probably pic one up for 100 to 125 bucks

7. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

8.5 is way to small for a dually, when you angle the blade the duals will driving over the snow, I have both size fisher v plows for my dually the 8.5 is just a back up

8. mcwlandscaping

Thanks :) i saw that at radio shack after buying the one i have now.....i'll probably sell mine to a friend and get that one soon enough, but for now, this is the one i got.....didn't know much about them at the time, so any tips tricks and advice would be awesome......i couldn't understand how to use the cobra you were talking about, LOL, too many words and switches that i have no clue what they actually do.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/image.php?imagefile=D<>19-DXIV.JPG

9. Quality SR

Mike it is an older Cobra. I wanted to upgrade to a better one, but with this set up it works great. The T fitting along with the two 90 fittings ( for the antennas) i got at radio shack. As far as tuning the antennas, i never heard of that. I know you can get the radio it self tuned but i didn't need to. The radio i was going to upgrade to, has a meter on it and you can tune it your self. I am not sure by you but there is a place by me (in the Bronx) that does it. The 2 antenna's work better then 1. My boss has the ones the big rigs use with a filter on them. I took these antennas out of my plow truck, and put them on my S-10. The magnet just didn't work. It also blew off my roof a few times. LOL. With the 2 antennas it comes in much clearer. I work with other guys with the mags. and/or just 1 antenna and mine sounds much better. And they have newer cb's then i have. One of the drivers i worked with last night every time he was talking to me it was followed by a humming sound it was driving me nuts. It also seems to reach much further then the single ones and the mag ones. When you attach the antennas to your back rack, make sure the metal threads, 90 fitting or anything metal from the antenna doesn't touch the metal back rack. You will get all kinds of interference, and scratching noises. That was the story of another one of the drivers last night, thanks god i wasn't with him. LOL. I am trying to find the model of the one i was going to get. It is made by Cobra. It was a little over $100, plus the antennas, cables, and fittings. I hope this helps Mike. Good luck. When i get that info ill let you know. PM me if you need anything else, ill give you my number.

10. mcwlandscaping

Awesome...thank you!!....i think it's just that my radio is a lower model, so i should have expected it. The thing is is that my friend has the same setup and can hear me crystal clear! We'll see tomorrow. But, if you could let me know of what that setup is you are talking about that would be awesome! I just really want to get this to work out

-mike-

11. Quality SR

Mike I am sending you a PM

12. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Check your antenna,you can have the best radio in the world but if the antenna isnt in tune it will sound like crap.Find a swr meter and have the standing wave checked.

To change the standing wave you have to raise or lower the antenna.A steel whip will have a set screw to raise or lower it in the base.A fiberglass whip has to be cut off .pull off the little rubber cap on top if I remember right there should be a wire under it you trim it.You want a standing wave of 1.5 or lower.

It makes a world of difference.find someone that knows radios and they can check it for you.

Just remember most truckers dont know anything about cb's other than how to turn them on.

13. mcwlandscaping

LOL, we tuned it....i think the right way....the other night and it was right at 1.5....my friend is coming over in about half an hour and we will be testing them out to see if i did it right! I will let you guys know, and i'm sure i'll have more questions!

14. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

Try this this, not sure if it will work

dually.jpg

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's a sweet rig!

16. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

Thanks, just started setting up my 2008 dually last night. I will get some pics soon.

17. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

My truck setup just like you guy guess it must be a good setup! I will post a pic tomorrow. I have the Pro Tech headache rack with one CB antenna and a business band antenna mounted on the rack. Both antennas look the same but they are different and both are made by Fire Stick. Very easy to tune!! CB is a Uniden 27, it is just like the cobra 29. It has been tuned up too!

18. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Sweet setup Dmax. Is that the 8.5 or 9.5 on the truck in that picture?

19. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

That is the 8.5//// which is getting sand blasted this week.