1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

annual revenue

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by badranman, Jan 7, 2004.

1. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I couldn't find this in any threads so I thought I'd ask. Does anyone know the total revenue that the snow removal business/salting business etc. is worth for North America? I'm talking sales of plows and spreaders, salt, plowing, everything. Hey, I'm bored. :sleeping:
  2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

It it my belief, based upon my experience dealing with SIMA, the various trade magazines and my personal interaction with contractors around the country - that there are about 85,000 "contractors" plowing snow. This includes organizations like mine as well as the one truck operator doing just a few driveways on his/her way into work...... Now... I have nothing scientific to base this on - but some might argue that my "guess" is probably more educated than most.

Given this "educated guess" scenario - I would project that dollars spent by private commercial property owners, managers, etc. to be in the $2.5 billion range. This does not include what public entites (municipalities, states, etc.) spend, and does not include the money spent by airports, nor do I think it includes what homeowners spend.

As for what the equipment expenditures are - can't even venture a "guess"......

I also believe that this is likely an inadequate (but conservative) answer to your question, give the nature of the question. I'm not bored, but intrigued by the overall question itself.
  3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Thanks for your input. I was just sitting around wondering what a figure would be and like you said there's alot to consider. Every corner storeall the residentials, equipment breakdowns, fuel, etc.
    I was guessing in the billions myself. Alot of people don't even consider what I do to even be a job, " Sorry I can't drink, I may have to go plowing a little later" "What? It's not even snowing! If it does snow it won't be over for 10 hours, plus, how hard can that be?" :mad:
  4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I know one thing, if this winter keeps going like it is, the revenue will be down this year.
  5. John Allin

I'm fond of telling my audiences that we (those in the business) are often thought of as "those who can't find real jobs". Not at all true, but if that's how they percieve me - ok.

Someday, I'll find a real job I suppose.
  6. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Real Job!!!!!

Ahahhahahhahhahaaaaaaa!!!!! That is a good one John. Most would absolutely Sh** themselves if you showed them your bottom line!! payup payup Keep up the good work and encouraging all of us to get out there and make plowing our most profitable division of our businesses.
  7. John Allin

I shall.... as long as we do it fairly and honestly.