1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Annoying people

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Have you guys ever been out plowing and had someone ask if you'd drive 30 minutes away to plow their drive for a minimum price? That happened to me tonight, I felt bad about turning the lady down, but there are other plowers in her neck of the woods. Plus I'd have to waste/charge $20 gas just to get there. Anyway, some people just don't realize what things cost nowadays. But, if it was a neighbor of one of my customers, I would have no problem dropping the plow for a discounted price, I mean, I'd already be in the neighborhood. I'm not a jerk or anything (she probably thinks so), but some people can be unreasonable. I just wrote this to see if there are any other funny stories like this out there.

Brant

2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

If you were to sit down and look at a map and find Dyer Indiana where I live and then find Gurnee IL where a lady lives that my dad works with..... she wanted me to drive the distance approx 1.5hrs on a good day with good traffic to plow her driveway i told her i would do it but it would cost her $400.00 per push with a 2" trigger I thought she was going to pass out. People who are not in this type of a service industry have no idea what are cost are and I think that some people in our industry don't either but that is a whole other topic.

3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

yep, that is time AND gas money you are wasting & could be using to plow out someone local. EVERYONE that describes their driveway usually describes it alot smaller or shorter or less complicated than it really is..... give them a price that makes it sting just a little, then if they take it, greaty. If not, yuo'll save yourself time & money.

4. had it happen last week, had a guy that just went through back surgery stop me at the gas station. Felt bad for him but told him no.The way I looked at it was I had 150 customers at a townhome association waiting for me, I broke out the association, made sure the skids were working, then drove back down the street looking for the guys Trailblazer.
    Couldn't find him, but if you look at it from your customers stand point instead of your own costs, I think it takes the guilt out of it.You'll get more opportunities to be the good samaritan, and that's OK.

Best of Luck!
    Steve Hoogenakker
    Steve@Landscape.Pro

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

The last snow storm we had was my first. Amazed at the annoying people. People parking in your way, trying to flag you down, condo association pesidents hawking your every move, stupid families having snowball fights right in your plow path, running around the subdivision your trying to plow. It never ends! Good think im pretty patient lol.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. been there

When our storm hit on the 1st, I was amazed how some young healthy
    residential clients were getting impatient. Suddenly, even tho the roads
    werent plowed-- they have to get out.

We were helping utility companys get fuel delivered, meals-on-wheels,
    folks with home health care, and getting calls for " we need to get to a concert..."

Had one 'regular' that came out at 7.30 pm when the wind was still blowing
    and I hadnt had lunch,...He is shaking 2 (two) fingers at me and said,"this is
    the second time I have had to shovel my way out" (didnt know he had a shovel).
    His big wheel 4X4 made it out with no trouble. Then, he said," If you cant be more
    reliable,.." (mind you, this was a 2 day snow storm-- full blown storm)
    So-- I cut him off (politely) "maybe you need to find someone else."
    Reverse,..up plow--goodbye.

Went 3 doors over and plowed the editor of the local paper. Good thing he
    didnt come out to chat.

We have to make choices. Sometimes it interferes with some people to
    really help those who need you.

I think you were very reasonable. When I cant help someone far away (more from
    time than cost) I try to provide them a number or make a call, myself.
    Or ask if they can wait until (tomorrow) -- probably can. Where are they having
    to go in a dang storm?? (rent a movie)
    tc

7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I got a call from some women today about plowing her driveway. I went out checked it out, she wasn't home. So I gave her a call told her the price, which was completely reasonable, and she just hung up. I called back on the slight possibility that we got dissconnected and she picked up and asked how I could charge that much. So I explained that she has a huge turnaround loop driveway that will take ATLEAST a half hour to plow, so 50$ is more than reasonable. She told me I "was screwing the public"..... lol

I know I'm not quoting high, since I've gotten every job that I've been called about this week which is over 10.

8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Come on dude. Stop screwing over this poor lady. Don't forget that you are not supposed to make anything more than minimum wage plowing snow. Oh, and of course, if it doesn't snow, then too bad, soooo sad.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I had a lady (see a pattern here) call me the other day and said she had been paying $10 but her guy was no longer plowing snow (aka not plowing here drive for $10 anymore) and was price shopping. I told her my minimum was now $20. She thought I was out of my mind. She did thank me for my time though. I got to be careful what I say. I just had a potential customer contact me on Plowsite.

9. martyman

martyman Senior Member

If I don't get a nut case or someone that refuses to pay every year I feel like something is missing ;)

Here is something I learned this year. NO MORE TWO POST DATED CHEQUES :realmad:

I was given two post dated cheques and later dropped of a contract that the people would not return signed. What they wanted was to hold the contract to see if it snowed and then bounce the second cheque.

On the night of a small storm here a lady called me over to plow a driveway and asked for a contract. I plowed the driveway and the next day brought over the contract only to be told by her Fireman husband "I've been doing the driveway for 24 years and my wife shouldn't have told you that we wanted a contract". I left and after a week of them not returning my calls went back and the cheap SOB handed me $20 and told me to take it or leave it.

Every year I have to deal with idiots.

10. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Sounds like a good reason.. to network with people just outside your area.. instead of blowing off a caller you can refer them to a contact person in that area.then you both win.you may get calls from the other guy who wont drive to your area.just my .o2$

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

DITTO

I have a couple of guys that post on Plowsite that i refer people to if the caller is out of my area.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

That's a good suggestion. This is my first year, and I don't know much about her area. I only know of plowers in my area. I would've galdly given her someones number from that area. I'll have to do some research though.

13. Brant'sLawnCare

That's pretty funny. I know where both of those places are. That's just unreasonable. lol.

14. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Had a lady ask me if I would plow her drive if it snows. Answer was no, call the guy down the road he'll do it no problem. She tells me that he has new trucks and since mine's old she wants me to do it because I'll be alot cheaper due to my having an old truck.

I don't even plow anything for money anymore. Only stuff I do is stuff I HAVE to do. Like my own driveway, parents driveway, and our business. People seem to really take offense and not understand that I need it to be able to plow my stuff, not theirs.

15. Brant'sLawnCare

You shoulda said, no it'll cost you more. lol. And if she asked why, you could tell her that you need a new truck!

16. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

lol..
    That's perfect, next time I will. :D

17. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

A lady I mow for refuses to sign me as her "plow guy" but calls me everytime it snows needing to "get out in the next hour". I just kinda plan on going over there before 7am. Last time she called I had already been there while she was sleeping, she had no idea. I have told her it would be cheaper if she just signed with me vs. one time pushes. Oh well payup for me.

People dont understand the drive time. Yeah it may only take 20 minutes to do their driveway or lawn as the case may, but they dont think it is 45 minutes of drive time plus the time to do the job. Next thing ya know a 20 minute job took over an hour. :realmad:

18. Brant'sLawnCare

ha ha. Glad to help. lol

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Some people just want to be "sure" they are getting plowed. Like you said though, you make more money, so other than it being annoying, what do you care!?!?

That's the exact reason I didn't want to do the job. I wanted to be done with my route and go home and crawl into bed.

20. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

That's why I don't think this forum should be an open forum. It wouldn't have helped here if they were a member, but if they just got your contact info then it was because of it being an open forum. I'm sidetracking here, what I'm getting at is aspects of the business that wouldn't be discussed with customers are discussed between members here. They should make this a members only forum, or at least sections of it. Leave the plow specific forums open or something, so if someone is just searching for info on their plow they can still read it. I haven't decided if I want to go through the expense of getting insurance to have to go plow people out, I don't have customers but it's not to say I won't one of these days. I plowed with 6 and ten wheelers for 4 years and I loved it. I just got this plow to do my own houses as well as a few family members, and my buddy with a landscape and excavation company wants me to sub for him on one of his comm lots when we get the big storms. What the heck was the original post? Oh yeah, annoying people. When I plowed streets and public lots, I always got the people with the shaking fists, dirty looks, etc. I had the ones that would shovel/plow/snowblow the snow out into the road. I would always remember those ones and push it back in and dump some more in there.